Spinal fusion surgey gone wrong

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I had a mri in 2012 which showed severe spinal stenosis and cauda equina crowding, So told i would need surgery. I had a spinal fusion L4 L5 s1 decompression in august 2013 as soon as i woke up from surgery i was in agony in my back and had a hard lump and pain in my right calf.. the nurses didnt seem concerned gave me paracetamol and sent me home. I havnt had any improvement up to this day I am still in agony and have a numb right leg, also after many tests I have been told I am permenantly incontinent (not opened my bowels naturally since waking up from surgery) I am in line for getting a mic key button fitted and also a scs nerve stimulator. On my most recent tests it shows i have nerve damage L5 and on my mri it shows i now have spondylollilthis (sorry cant spell it).

all this is new from waking up from surgery and my consultant has signed me off saying there is nothing more he can do for me.

I would like to know has anybody any feedback on the mic key button, or the scs stimulator?

Also does anyone know if a spinal fusion can cause spondy? Because i didnt have it before the operation and could this be why i am in so much pain ?

Thanks in advance

Mandy.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oooo that's bad stuff and I'm so sorry for you.

I had spinal fusion 4 years ago L4/L5 as they had collapsed. Also I have bad nerve damage and can't feel my right leg. Not from the fusion but I had chipped a piece of spine sometime in my life and it had worked it's way into the sciatic nerve and caused terrible damage (and I wondered whi I had horrific sciatica for 24 year!!) I have to say that the fusion was a painful operation. I had a CF leak but nothing majorly bad apart for the excrutiating pain!! However, recover was slow and I was off work for two and a half years and had to re-learn how to walk. I am now back in full time work (desk job) and I have to say I don't have much trouble with the fusion site. I do have awful nerve pain though down both legs and into my feet and toes. I had the SCS fitted as I was on so many drugs (I think at one point about 60 different tablets a day, just to get through) I had the SCS fitted, had a trial which went really well and from the moment I woke up with it in and was shown how to control it my pain levels were manageable. 3 months later I was off all the meds and I mean ALL of them, back at work full time and life was looking a lot rosier. However nearly two years ago I started gettin very bad headaches. No one can attribute them to anything, I've had brain scans, Muscle conductivity tests to see if it's MS as I also in the last 6 months have started to get terrible pins and needles constantly in my hands and some finger numbness. I have a pain in my spine probably about the level of my shoulder blades, which to me feel like a prolapsed disc. I am going to my doc on Saturday and will push for another CT scan to see what is happening. I feel sure that my spine pain and headaches are linked. I am not sure if the spine higher up is brought on by having the fusion. It maybe is a question I should be asking and maybe looking into it a bit more!

• Posted

I don't understand any of the medical stuff you have mentioned but I certainly think you need as a minimum to see your Consultant again for an explanation and your G P for support and based on your discussions with these two people a legal representative to fact find to infom your planning.  I am sorry for all your troubles.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, I am so very sorry to learn of your pain.  I would definitely seek another opinion armed with all the records I could gather.  This is not right.  I recently underwent extensive back surgery with rods and screws.  My lower backside is numb but as long as I know it's there I'm OK with it!  You should not and cannot bear this pain.  I doubt very much if spinal fusion would cause spondy because I had it as a symptom of pain, not the result of a procedure.  Good luck and prayers.  One day at a time.....

Marcie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.