Spirometry test results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi had my test today and was told in lower end of normal range, and if i had not had ct scan they would not know i had any changes to my lungs.

My FEV 3.01 FVC 435 and PEAK 564

I am going to do more exercise on thread mill and carry on walking, this has give me a good kick up the backside to change my life.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations John, this means there was no emphysema / COPD diagnosis after all?

Best wishes to you but do deep on staying smoke free smile 

• Posted

Our lungs do deteriorate normally with age so that is perhaps what the emphysematous changes were, even so stopping smoking will hopefully slow down any enlarging of the alveoli.

• Posted

Just put my results in the online calculator and it says  FEV1/FVC Ratio 66%  78% (Low - consider COPD) ?
    • Posted

Hi john,

posted before reading the rest, so this will be out of track sorry.

From what I've read it is possible to increase and improve that ratio which is borderline?.

No smoking, exercise and good diet.

Also read that another spirometry in a few months is a good idea.

Obviously I've no medical knowledge, just what I have garnered from here and other good sites.

Good luck to you, others will give better info I'm sure.

j x

• Posted

Yes they said stop smoking and exercise will hopefully make it much better and keep it stable. they did say next test would be 12 months.

But being borderline was really good news. hopefully yours will be also  please let me know.

• Posted

Thanks for replying john.  

I read vee2 said there is always some

deterioration with age anyway so bear that in mind.

Look after yourself

j x

• Posted

The diagnosis or not comes from the respiratory consultant usually John.

You have to put all details in that calculator, age, sex, height and all spirometry results then click calculate.

But are you now saying you still have not had an official diagnosis?

• Posted

Hi john,  That sounds like a good result, you must be relieved.

I don't understand the figures at all though.  

These kicks up the backside are so valuable in making us more aware of our health.

j  x

• Posted

Hi Jessie yes i was relieved and the test was nothing to be worried about so not sure why i was. Yes we all need a kick at times to make changes in our life.

Good luck with your test and results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.