Splenectomy, long term use of penicillian V

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a splenectomy 12 years ago and I have been on a daily dose of penicillin V ever since.

Has anyone had any side effects from the Pen V?

In particular thinning of the hair and skin? Constant anxiety and poor sleep patterns.

i may be clutching at straws but this is the only Med that I have not tried to live without in order to relieve my symptom.

Thanks

pam

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam,

While I have not been taking penicillin since my emergency spenectomy 3 years ago (no prep vaccination), I am looking into taking it because I believe that I am somehow infected with some type of bacteria that has affected my parter ever since our very first encounter. I have had two treatments of Flagyl, only to relapse. From my position, I would rather have the sympoms you mentioned rather than the ones I have rolleyes Have you  found anything more on the issue? I'll share what I find/hear/learn. 

• Posted

Hi Pam. I stopped taking penicillin about 5 months after my splenectomy. I'm not sure of your exact medical history/conditions. I do suffer from anxiety and insomnia but I think it's more to do with general life stresses.

It's been over a year ago I stopped taking Pen V, I keep a stock at home Just in case and will be getting my flu jab soon.

Dave

• Posted

I am wondering the same thing for my son (8 yrs) who had an emergency splenectomy this year. He has always had anxiety and poor sleep, but they seem worse now. Maybe it could be attributed to the trauma of what he went through with the surgery too.  Curious to know what others have to say.
  • Posted

Hi Pam, 

Firtsly I just want to thank you for posting your enquiry! I have stumbled across it by accident but reading it makes sense!

i had a splenectomy over 30 yrs ago ... I'm 38 as a result if ITP... I have taken penicillin 250mg since ... Upon reflection I have suffered anxiety , broken sleep, which can make you feel like you are going mad , hair that breaks easy despite a very healthy diet. although the antibiotic is a maintenance dose it is comforting to read other peoples side effects as reassurance.

i have also read somewhere else tonight about people who experience breathing difficulties or asthma as side effects which I have always put down to stress.

it is important to weigh up the pros. V. Cons to taking the antibiotics as all the side effects I list are definitely manageable in the scheme of things!

take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.