Splenic flexure pain

Posted , 88 users are following.

Hi all. I have been suffering with pain in upper left abdomen below the ribs for 7 months now. I've had loads of tests and nothing has come back showing anything. Had faecal calprotectin test done and that was normal so the docs have not done an endoscopy. Sometimes the pain ramps up to where I can constantly feel it and I can agrivate it with movement such as twisting or stretching Other times it just rumbles along and I hardly notice it but it's always there. Do any of you guys ever get this?

The best way that I can explain the location of the pain is like this. Make a fist with your left hand and place it half way down your left rib line just underneath. Where your little finger rests is where the pain is mostly. I does travel about a little bit but it's mostly there. This normal for ibs?

0 likes, 161 replies

161 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think the appendix is on the RHS, although you could ask your GP if it could be something like that.

My ibs is just passing wind, i have to take a lot of medications and that upsets the lining of my tummy. I would go back and ask for further tests

BOB

• Posted

Yes. The appendix is on the right. My pains are on the left under my ribs
    • Posted

You may need a test on the Colon, I was passing blood and it was a poylp.

They can work on anything like this on the day.

BOB

• Posted

This is so weird as I have a similar thing. It's not so much a pain but more of an awareness about something not right in that exact same place. It feels like a knot or a blockage or something, can't quite explain it. When I was under the hospital for my IBS under a gastroenterologist, I mentioned it to him and he wasn't interested in it at all. I'm sure it's connected to my IBS and it seems to be aggravated there when I have a bad flare up. It also feels tender to touch at times. Years after, I was discharged from the hospital after various tests, I was just diagnosed with IBS. The weird thing is though, I went to see a psychic medium (I know!), who not only mentioned my IBS but also said it isn't and pointed to the area saying it's a hernia. Obviously I didn't do anything about what she said incase people thought I was crazy. I have never come across another person with this pain who has IBS.

• Edited

This is a very common pain with IBS or with gastritis. I have had it on and off for 8 years.. When I have a flare up of either condition, it is bad. I have had so many tests but it is important to rule other things out. Do you have any other symptoms--ie--nausea, diarrhea,etc?
    • Edited

Yeah. I have lots of symptoms but I'm not sure if some of them are related to the anxiety and stress of the last 7 months. Diarrhea in the morning. Sometimes loose but not firm. Gas, burping. Sometimes bloating. My most worrying symptom is fatigue and weakness. That's that I am putting down to the stress And anxiety. I just feel wiped out all the time.

• Edited

I've been having pain in my left like what you describe for about a year.  I've had an endoscopy, multiple cat scans, ultra sounds and nothing has been found.  Doc suggested it may be an issue with my splenic flexure... the problem I have is.. the pain moves... mostly on the left but at times right in the center of my abdomen but never the right.  I sometimes can't tell if I'm in pain or hungry.  I've lost 36 lbs since it started... mostly due to not eating as much.  I've not have much diarrhea.. but seems I have constipation a lot.  doc said I should follow a low FODMAP diet.. ( boy is that hard ) and I just started that yesterday... it will take a few days/weeks for that to present any relief, if any.  I'm so uncomfortable and bloated all the time... I feel like someone has inflated a balloon in my stomach.  

• Posted

My husband has this same feeling. He says often it feels like the feeling of being very very hungry. Same spot. Sometimes he can feel it in his back. He's had numerous ultrasounds, endoscopy, colonoscopy, MRI, blood tests etc... and what have they found? One tiny cyst on his left kidney that they say is not causing this. They say it's IBS now because he is having loose bm's but I don't buy it. It's been 7 yrs.

• Posted

Hi leigh sorry to hear you are going through this...Well your symptoms quite look like IBS...well if you are feeling fatigued then you should get checked for your vitamins level if you are not taking them especially vitamin d level....And gut and mind are closely connected and both can affect each other...so try to reduce your anxiety to calm down your stomach..
    • Edited

I have the exact same symptoms as your husband, in addition to "brain fog" and feeling "poisoned" for a few days after eating certain foods. I've gotten diagnoses that don't seem quite right, including IBS and "functional bowel disorder."

I get very hungry, like my stomach is telling me to eat or else that sore spot is going to get very irritated, and I can feel it in my back and it tingles and twitches. I have a tendency to overeat because of it even though I am underweight. After overeating the feeling doesn't really get better.

I've had this for 20 years or so. I improved a few times when taking antibiotics for other reasons e.g. sinus infection, and it was like a miracle. But it didn't last. A couple weeks later it would come back and become chronic again.

I'm on a very limited diet now. Desperate for info. Is it simply gastritis? Who knows at this point...

• Posted

Very interesting that it went away with Antibiotics. Have you been tested for SIBO?

• Edited

I have the same problem.

very inflated and very consterpated.

the pain is unbearable.

Its she second time i have it now and its been 3 months.

I only get this when eaten onion by accident and then inflate hectic just to never go away.

the weird thing is that no doctor believes is that when I was literally giving up on life I went for a colonoscopy and when I woke up a 2 minute wind blew out of me with ease and my stamach were flat...and all symptoms disappeared right there..everything normal.

the wind they blew in or something pushed something back in place.

it is not the prep you drink before you go for the procedre I tested this.

when I got onion in by accident again 4 months ago it started that same night after 4 years of no symptoms.

i went for another colonoscopy and it didnot do anything but also when I wake up only a little wind came out not like the previous one at all...it was done in diff ways.

The docters dont believe my colonoscopy story and thats a huge problem because that is where the answer lies in this issue.

we all feel the same symptoms...i also feel the foggy brain like i have been drinking strong pills that knocks me and then i did not..the pain in the back all the same.

now that i know it can be fixed instantly and that its not IBS i will not stop till I find the cure...

Ibs is wrong diagnosis...

its rapid inflation that pushes something the wrong way and it stayes like that.

maybe a NG tube might work to get rid of the gass and fluids and pressure in belly and intestine and cure the problem. otherwise i will carry on to search the colonoscopy cure.

maybe the one docter sucked the air out amd the other one didnot afterwards.

• Edited

all the same symptoms...read my long asnwer. to someone on the group how mine was instantly cured and now back with it years later. also desperate. please let me know if you find something i will too.

• Posted

My theory would be that the onion caused some bloating and then things moved where they shouldn't. I wonder if yoga might be helpful to re-align misplaces bowels. Have you tried that?

• Posted

That is really interesting, I'm suffering the same now 4 months on no wiser the pain is there now it really does feel like something is out of place? Or distorted and the pain makes me breathless too feel like I want to lift my ribs up, all Dr have done is scan on kidneys cos when this pain gets under way I feel its inflamed and pushing on everything around it,stomach,spleenand kidney, pancreas etc it hurts in the side and in my back kidney area too always left side, they thought it was a kidney stone but scan shew nothing weather totally unrelated and why they went down kidney route is I have microscopic blood in urine and have had now for 4 months, maybe a separate problem? I've got uroligy after 8 wks wait end of the week to either rule in or out bladder cancer being a woman 56yrs and post menopausal, not looking forward to the tests but like you just want answers, do you feel exhausted alot like really fatigued? I think I may have numerous problems but brain fog is quite upsetting and the tiredness, wish you all well anyone reading this, anyone get any answers please comment, thankyou

• Posted

i know these posts are from a while ago but came across it today.

in April 2019 i woke up one day to no appetite, diarrhea & then started a few days later with sickness (bile in the mornings up to 3 times a day). Three weeks later i had not improved even though my GP was sure I had gastrogastroenteritis. I ended up in A&E quite a few times, bloods ok & eventually given cyclizine & lansoprazole. 4 days the symptoms stopped.

I keep getting flare ups & it follows the same pattern. The sickness does not stop each day until I have taken the antisickness medication. (without it I would be lost).

My GP was lost and said I had IBS without any tests & then covid hit (blamed for everything even though my symptoms were long before covid). My GP eventually referred me to a gastroenterologist who decided to do an endoscopy before seeing me due to covid. endoscopy was all fine & was told acid reflux. I never spoke to the consultant and was discharged back to GP. I was put on Mebeverine for bowel spasms.

After more flare ups I put my foot down & asked to be referred again. 21 week referral time so I paid private instead & had an MRI of small bowel which was all clear thank god but the private gastroenterologist asked my GP to refer me on the NHS again.

In Dec 2021 I had a phone call with a consultant who was lovely. She still suspected really bad IBS but wanted an colonoscopy.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday which was awful. I had sedation which did nothing. It was incomplete, we had to stop. The pain was unbearable, I felt sick & kept burping constantly during the colonoscopy, my temperature & pulse spiked so the nurse had cold/wet towels over my face. I never got told why this happened, if it was a side effect to the sedation etc, My bowel went into spasm too. All I kept hearing was it's tight & it is narrow & shouting in the room.

They only managed to get to the splenic colon area before I made it stop.

On my report it mentions tight splenic flexure. I don't understand what this means? The colon was clear up to that point. They have sent the report back to the consultant so i hope to hear back from her soon. I do get bloating under my left ribcage & central pain etc. Could my colon be narrow & that causing all my problems? i am only 4ft 11 so I can't have much room inside.

I feel a little lost because I haven't had any advice on how to manage IBS & if that is even the issue nearly three years later. I obviously need some help on how to manage my symptoms but need to know what the issue is first.

• Posted

that's crazy i have the same exact symptoms! I have had so many ultrasounds, mri x-rays all kinds of stuff. sometimes I pass large amounts of air too and it's almost immediate relief but it's rare. it also makes my stomach flat too afterwards like I birthed a child. I am so clueless and at this point I've ruled it out as maybe something a chiropractor could help with because it literally feels as if something is dislocated! I also have physical bloating on my left side. right below my breast. it feels like something up inside of my ribs at times. it comes and goes and it can go away for or go unnoticeable for weeks then it will go weeks with constant symptoms. the fatigue, brain fog, physical pain, emotional draining and all of it together is debilitating at times. please let me know if you ever find any answers

• Posted

Hello, this is information for all of you who are going through pain on left side ribs and for many years.

After five years of pain & lots of diagnostic done but found nothing by any cardiologist yet.

Finally, I have consulted a Gestroenterologist who examined the symptoms and at first sight discarded it a cardiac pain and it has been told that there is not any physical ailment of any kind.

However, he was very confident that it is suspected to be an intercostal muscular pain which is occuring due to MUSCULAR SPASM.

He seems 100% confident that with 10 days it will go away and I have some relief within 2 days. Let see pain goes completely. Will update you soon.

• Posted

hello John, I just read your post and been suffering from a very similar thing for about 25 years. I was wondering if you managed to fix the issue?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.