Splinter in finger.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have a wood splinter 1cm. long embedded deep in the tip of my right index finger. It's been there since 9th March 2016 and pricks occasionally, otherwise very uncomfortable.  Tried to remove it myself, Walkin center could not remove it, Hospital would not remove it. Any ideas how to get it out?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When you say hospital do you mean a and e or did you have a referral to someone like a   surgeon

I would have thought surgery was the ony option , does your GP do minor surgery

Is it imfected will it become infected ???

• Posted

Went to A&E who sent me to Minor Injuries in the hospital. they gave me antibiotic which I did not take.

Not infected. and my doctor doesn't take out splinters.

• Posted

only option then is get surgery referral or dig it out your self ( or with a friend)with scapel or needle-  If its deep that sounds risky so if you go down that route you might need to take the antibiotics
    • Posted

Thanks. Will try again myself. Hospital said it would eventually come to the surface itself. Don't know how long it would take, been in over 2 months.
  • Posted

I'm pleased to say that the Hospital advice that the splinter would eventually come out by itself was right. After nearly 3 1/2 months it actually popped out on Saturday morning. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.