spondylisis and balance problems.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have just found out I have  degenerative cervical spondylosis with moderate to marked right sided foraminal narrowing at C4-C5. I have no pain at present , I was interested to know of any one with this condition effecting their balance. ? is there anything I can do? thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bron, I too have recently been diagnosed but I don't have specific details on which Cs are involved. I have been referred to a Musculoskeletal consultant. However I do suffer with balance issues which I put down to clumsiness. It seems that I can no longer do this as the balance issues ar times are quite pronounced. As soon as I have some feedback I will let you know. A few years back I started to think it was MS bur the Neuros said no even though Ive never been sent for any type of scan. I hope someone has an answer for you, take care.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, would be very interested, I have no pain thank goodness but the balance problem is indeed a problem. I trust that you are ok. take care.
  • Posted

Same here. Had CS for about 25 years, as it is a form of arthritis, it is getting worse just now... I will be 71 next month. I get terribly dizzy and my balance is dreadful. I just got a walking stick on Ebay which is really helping my balance...

I take a homeopathic remedy to help with the bouts of pain. Rhuz Tox... You can get the pillules and a cream... Worth every penny...

I have all the side effects and live alone so things can be difficult... 

Take a good selection of supplements to build up your immune system... I take Coq10, Vitamin D3, vit E, Magnesium citrate and iron, zinc and B12... Vitamin C in reasonable doses too...

Take care hope you will not get the dreadful pain that many have. Get a firm memory foam pillow too... 

Roz

• Posted

With C/S,  it's called vertigo,  which is a fairly common symptom.  But you should mention it to your Dr.  Far as I know,  there is no Physio for this...but there might well be medication.  Any 'fainting' or loss of power should be reported as well.
  • Posted

I shake all the time. Mostly on my right side. Not conventional vertigo as that it an ear thing. I go for physio and have some balance exercises that are helping. I have problems focussing too. Get new glasses every year, I also have cataracts which doesn't help...

Try some of the YouTube balance exercises There are loads...

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I also have degenerative cervical spondylosis. I had a fusion at C2,3 and 4. Herniated at C6. I do have balance issues as my issue was not discovered until I was on the verge of being paralyzed. So I chalk my balance issue up to the neuropathy that I now have in my feet. 

Supportive shoes, lots of cushion are key! 

Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are on this journey of discovery!

I too am recently diagnosed with an MRI clearly illustrating a series of tonguetwister neck problems. I have no pain, but dizziness, balance, carpal tunnel, hand shaking, bumping into walls, etc have been worsening symptoms for the last 1-2 years. I started worrying about MS, but having done various tests my neurosurgeon says it is early stage myelopathy. Surgery is recommended, but not yet planned for other unrelated reasons. Meanwhile, my neurologist did some nerve tests which proved my carpal tunnel is definitely that and not caused by my neck. He ran some blood tests which showed I am severely deficient in vitamin B12 and have been for many years. Seems this, combined with growing older can produce all the symptoms that are being credited to myelopathy! I am on a course of B12 injections for the coming weeks and will be retested to see what has improved. After the first week of daily shots, I feel a bit more focused and less dizzy, but it could be pyschosomatic. I will post again when I am through with this testing, but may be worth checking your B12 levels meanwhile.

Good luck, you will find this site and the facebook page "Cervical Spondylosis Support SIte" very helpful.

Carol

• Posted

I have balance problems too and have had some falls. I also have vertigo. Very distressing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.