Spondylosis and spondylitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with spondylitis and I also suffer with spondylosis. I was in a lot of pain, so took myself down to A&E. A doctor came to see me and sent me off for an x-ray. When the x-ray came back I was told I had spondylitis. I asked was there some kind of mistake as I already had spondylosis, I was told no, this was just something else to add to my list. I was gobsmacked to say the least. This bout of pain hahas now eased. I have done some research on this, not realising tthat the pain would come back. I would like to know how other people cope with the pain?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 19 and have been diagnosed for about 3 years give or take, to help I just get a bath that's really the only thing that slightly helps because I'm struggling with the medication at the minute. I have some gel from the doctors which I run into the sore area and that does help, having my feet up on a buffet also helps. Sounds silly but excercise does help I used to go to the gym but that got a bit too much when I started work I bought an exercise bike and I've just started going on a jog/walk! It is hard knowing it will never come and it can come and go when it pleases but it does get easier! Hope this helps and you get it sorted! X
    • Posted

Hi Charlotte. I have struggled with my spondylosis for 31 years. Last time I went to see joint consultants they were talking surgery. Anything has got to be better than suffering at the moment. I'm in such a lot of pain, and have been since February of last year.
    • Posted

Hi Lesley. I also have these 2 ailments & have had them for over 35yrs. I have been through every therapy there is, from electrified acupuncture to heat therapy, deep massage etc. I have been on Tramadol for 20yrs or so, have tried muscle relaxants & every cream there is. I am currently on 300mg Tramadol 1500mg Ibuprofen, 1800mg Gabapentin + Paracetamol when needed. I do adjust the doses of Gabapentin, usually down to 900 when I feel I can cope. Morning is worse, or when I have slept for a couple of hours during the day. I let the strong jets of my shower hit my neck for 5 mins. The head "pulses" & it feels like a massage, it works well for me. There is no miracle answer, you just have to cope one day at a time. I have met people who have had some quite drastic surgery & have felt the benefit. I would not risk it. I am "happy" to enjoy my good days & just get through the bad days. You just have to adopt a possitive attitude, which is difficult, but you just have to.
    • Posted

Hi Lee. I am also on a cocktail of medication. I am taking Naproxen, 2 tabs a day, Gabapentin 2 tabs three times a day 1,200mg, paracetamol 2 tabs 4 times a day and amitriptyline at night 50mg. This is only half of my medication. Altogether in a day I take 32 tablets.

I go back to see joint consultants on 23rd of this month, and I honestly cant wait. 2 of the vertebrae in my neck are misaligned putting a lot of pressure on my spinal cord. I also have a kind of scoliosis of my neck. This is a very bad curve where my cervical spine is sat just at the bsck of my throat. This is causing no end of problems.

I think you will now see why I need the surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.