Squint Corrected with Botox - double vision?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

I've had a squint all my life (30 years) had two previous surgeries that did not work. My right eye turns inward. 

Recently I was refered to hospital for Botox treatment. This was carried out 9 days ago.

My eye is now straight. (Yay) I am however suffering from double vision when I look to the left and what I can only describe as slight 'ghost' double images (not constant) that seems to appear randomly and when looking in any direction, 

Has anyone had Botox and experienced something similar? I'm just looking for reassurance that the double vision will pass and I can continue with the Botox treatment? 

The botox kicked in 3 days after it was administered so I've only had double vision for about 6 days. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 21yr old suffering from amblyopia and I don't know much about botox but I can tell u that you're seeing double images bcz ur eyes are working together now and its hard for brain to process in just a week and i want yo know about botox can I message you to know more about it?
    • Posted

Hi,

Of course. Feel free to message me about it. 

• Posted

I must disclose I am an eye surgeon. As you know Botox works for a limited time (perhaps 2 or 3 months). Its use in people with squint is to determine the potential effect of actual surgery which has a much more permanent effect.  

If your double vision is real problem then future surgery should be avoided as sometimes this is worse than having a squint.

I suggest you try to get used to the double vision and see if you can use both eyes together with perhaps only slight double vision in extreme positions of gaze. Your surgeon will want to hear from you about the amount of eye straightening and any "side-effects" before committing you to a third surgical procedure.

• Posted

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for for the reply. 

Yes the double vision appears to currently only be effecting me when I look to the far left. Is there a possibility that my brain will adjust to this and the double vision will pass in a week or so? I have heard some double vision is quite common after surgery or Botox? 

My eyes definitely feel like they are 'attempting' to work together. It feels a bit confusing but actually seems a bit better today. I have been told previously that I have limited or no binocular vision (which is why I'm surprised I have double vision) I assumed my brain would continue to ignore my right eye post Botox but that doesn't seem to be the case. My right eye seems to be trying to get some control over my vision if that makes sense. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.