SSRIs as treatment for CFS?! Also Acupuncture question

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a 52 year old man in the UK and my symptoms are exhaustion - heavy legs, generally tired out, brain fog. My GP after running lots of blood tests thinks its CFS and has referred me to a rheumatologist at the hospital to confirm the diagnosis (I don't get to see him for another 2 weeks). On the UK scale, its probably "mild" with the odd day of "moderate".

When my GP first suggested it was probably CFS the first thing she wanted to do was put me on SSRIs! I am naturally resistant to the idea of anti depressants to be honest - especially when I'm not depressed. I've been told boosting serotonin levels can help with CFS and its not JUST for depression - but I can't actually find much online to support that. I went back to a different GP partner the other day as I'm still not well enough to work after 7 weeks and the first thing HE said was for me to think again about SSRIs... So does anyone have any experience of that and it helping? I really am not in any way depressed - I've done a bit of meditation and hypnotherapy over the last few weeks and generally I am feeling quite laid back and stress/anxiety free (my employer is currently very supportive) - although the brain fog making writing and concentration more difficult is a nuisance, I am adapting to the lack of any energy thing and coping ok.

Conversely, a friend suggested acupuncture - and I can find a few articles suggesting it has helped with CFS. I am actually going for my first session with an experience and well qualified acupuncturist tonight. Has anyone any experience of that? And has it helped? I do have a friend in Switzerland who says its helped her a lot.

Thanks in advance for anyone's shared experiences.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I first got ME a doctor tried to put me on SSRIs even though I kept telling him that I wasn't depressed. I didn't take them. I use 5-HTP for serotonin. I find it's very calming and I sleep well at night. I wake up feeling much better than when I don't take it. 

I've never tried accupuncture but my friend, who has Fibromalgia, says it's helping her immensely! She keeps trying to get me to try it and I might.

• Posted

Thanks Georgia, that's really helpful. I remember taking 5-HTP once before some years back and hadn't made the connection. I'll give that a try again.

• Posted

Excellent Phil! I came across it by chance when my friend visited me and he accidently left a bottle of it here. Fortunate accident. razz

I've been taking it for several years and although I've tried many, many different supplements it's one of the very few that I stick with.

• Posted

Hi Georgia, nice to see a post from you. Thanks for reminding me about the 5-Htp. I must try some. My sleep pattern is a mess at the moment.

I'm struggling to find an article about the diagnostic break through, I don't do face book. It sounds exciting for us all!

• Posted

Excuse me for jumping in on your conversation here. JK--I believe the article you're looking for was published by the University of California San Diego School of Medicine. Google "University of California Chronic Fatigue Syndrome," and click on "Researchers Identify Characteristic Chemical Structure..." At least, I think that's the article being referred to. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

• Posted

Hi Georgia - I got a same day delivery from Amazon yesterday and took it last night - will give it a go for a month and see how it goes, ta smile

• Posted

Quote:Robert Naviaux, at researcher at University of California, San Diego, published a landmark paper yesterday on the metabolites of patients with ME/CFS. It made news around the world.
    • Posted

Hiya Jk! Yes it's always great to hear about when they learn something about ME.

I hope 5-HTP works for you; I find it excellent and I always try never to run out of it. I'll message you the brand I use seeing as we can't post brand names here.

• Posted

I am very familiar with your symptoms,I am a 58 year old male,the last 15 years has been really bad for me,3 relapses triggered by the flu,the longest was 6 years,there has been a land mark paper published August 30 this week on ME and CFS by the university of California your GP should read it they have identified biological markers for ME and CFS with will lead to a diagnostic test for ME and CFS this is the best news about ME and CFS I have ever heard,they also lust the triggers,influenze is on the list,there is a long list of viruses and bacterial infections that they identified as triggers,they found biological markers for ME and CFS patients,the markers are different for men and women,they also found that cells go I to a protected hibernation state as a defense against infection which causes the heavy tied feeling in patients

• Posted

Thanks very much for that info Patrick! Fascinating about cells going into hibernation, makes sense.

I get the ME research magazine Breakthrough from ME Research UK sent to me and there's an interesting article on a study in my latest one. It's about oxidative stress and the role of Nrf2.

'Low Nrf2 levels are found to play a central role in the increased oxidative stress found in ME/CFS patients, stimulation of Nrf2 could become the target of further research'.

Another,linked, article in the magazine found 'Abnormal connections among brain regions and reductions in white matter (in the brain) that continue as the illness progresses...white matter is thought to be highly susceptible to inflammation and its loss could well be the result of chronic oxidative stress or an ongoing infectious process'

There are certain foods and herbs that promote Nrf2 (the Master regulator) so help with oxidative stress, such as brocolli, Ginkgo biloba, blueberries, cabbage, sprouts, onions, milk thistle, green tea, turmeric, black pepper.

• Posted

Thank you so much for posting information about that study. I've just read it. From everything I'm reading, we're finally entering into a time where ME/CFS is being considered as a serious illness, and good research is also finally happening. It's about time.

• Posted

Patrick, thanks ever so much for posting that. That certainly sounds like promising news.
    • Posted

Would it be possible for you to summarise what you read Jackie? Such as is there anything we can do about their claims, such as foods, supplements, herbs etc, and what exactly are they saying?

My brain hurts and I'm not up to reading it at the moment. Don't worry if you don't feel up to explaining. razz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.