St Johns Wort

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any one had any luck with using this or any herbal medication for depression, anxiety and insomina?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I always found St Johns wort to be very effective for mild bouts of depression. I never used it for more sever boughts as I was on SSRi's and you should not mix the 2.

A couple of points to note, it can cause headaches in higher doses but I found they quickly go on reducing the dose. Also it can mess with a lot of other drugs by interfering with the bodies processing of them. In fact it is know to reduce the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill by speeding up the bodies removal of it from the system.

• Posted

I'm not on any medication as I came off but taking b complex omega 3 and vitamin d...but still got low mood
    • Posted

I'm not on.any medication just taking b complex omega 3 and vitamin d
    • Posted

I started using 5-HTP earlier this year with a Vitamin B complex. It was very effective,  I felt better after a few weeks.  Unfortunately, I had stop because it gave me spots and terrible urine infection type side effects.
    • Posted

Give it a go then. Are you in the uk? I always got on well with the holland and barret own brand. Be careful of cheap brands though as they can be very inconsistant with quality and active dosage in the tablets from batch to batch. You should notice if it is helping or not within a week. I usually noticed an affect after 3 or 4 days.
    • Posted

Yes I've got some st John's wort...I'll keep u all updated to how I'm getting on...thanks so much for advice. If not there is a stronger dose on and the lady in the shop did mention 5-htp so trail and error if nothing seems to be happening. Keep u updated x
    • Posted

I've never heard of weight gain.mentioned as a Side effect. In fact I found it uplifting and found I had more energy. I was still able to enjoy a hard session at the gym regulaly while taking it. But that was me. Maybe overs here can offer their experiences?
    • Posted

I've been on mirt 15mg for 5 months now and I'd put on about 25 pounds within the first few months. It's starting to slow down now because I'm trying to control what I eat a little better instead of just pigging out uncontrollably on all the sugars and starches I could fine in the house! Lol. As far as St. John's wart causing weight gain, it being more of an herbal supplements I don't think it will do this because it don't have the chemical properties that the mirt has, the mirt triggers your body's system and stimulates your appetite, mostly at the lower doses it does this! It seems to decline as you increase your dose of mirt. But if you want to get good answers backed by legit knowledge, I'd ask the dr or a local pharmacist! They're very helpful.
  • Posted

I have always taken a lot of supplements.  St John's Wort did not work for me, or 5HTP.  I find the herbal tablets with valerian, hops and passion flower work best for me.  They are cheap and all chemists have there own brands.  I try what anyone suggests, and some things work for me better than others.

It is a matter of finding out what works for you.  What helps one person may not help another.  There are lots of supplements you can try.

• Posted

I heard that it works from people that have used it but you cannot take it with prescribed medications too. Best thing to do would be to go into the store and talk to your local pharmacist. I was considering trying this and my father went in looking for some for me and he told him that it wouldn't be good for me being that I'm on medications for anxiety and depression already, but even if you're not on meds, I'd still ask your doctor or local pharmacist smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.