Stabbed myself between main finger and thumb

Posted , 3 users are following.

This morning I accidentally stabbed myself between my first finger and thumb it went straight through and out the palm of my hand I went to a&e and was glued and butterfly stitched they said I had no nerve damage but since getting home my thumb has been in spasm causing immense pain not sure if this is because of the swelling or I've hit a nerve anybody help? Please xxx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Could be either.   I suggest that you return to A/E or your own GP tomorrow if the pain is unbearable. Take Paracetamol for the pain Also could be a slight tendon injury.   By the morning it may have calmed down a bit.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the help, I managed to control the pain with pain killers and anti inflammatorys but through the night my hand has more than doubled in size through swelling so booked in to see my gp today
  • Posted

SInce you have stitches there is always risks of infection. If it is reddish and pus is coming out then it is probably infected and you will need immediate medical attention. If no pus is coming out then it is probably just swollen. You can apply some ice but not direct contact with your skin. Place a paper towel underneath it. Hope you feel better smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.