Stages of Healing Process

Posted , 5 users are following.

I ruptured my right Achilles' tendon playing tennis. It will be 6 weeks on Friday since my surgery and my doctor still has me on no weight bearing. I see him next Wednesday and I hope I will be able to weight bear. Does anyone know how long you are in the boot after you begin weight bearing. I have heard all different stories and I suppose it depends on your healing process.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm set to have open achilles tendon repair surgery next Wednesday. Went to my pre-op appointment yesterday and my doctor said that I'll be in a boot and full weight bearing from day 1. It's called accelerated rehabilitation.

I did some research on it, and this is what I found: There's a link to a medical publication and study on it that was published two years ago (this website won't allow links to be posted), but pretty much to sum it up,  immediate full weight bearing and early ankle mobilization after achilles tendon repair surgery (called accelerated rehabilitation) resulted a significantly shortened return time to work and sports.  Patients in the studies showed significantly higher satisfaction, less use of rehabilitation resources, earlier return to pre-injury activities and further demonstrated significantly increased calf muscle strength, reduced atrophy and tendon elongation. No study found an increased rerupture rate for the more progressive treatment. The conclusion of the study was that the rehabilitation protocol after achilles tendon repair should allow immediate full weight bearing. After the second postoperative week controlled ankle mobilization by free plantar flexion and limited dorsiflection at zero degrees should be applied.

• Posted

Hi, I will be 6 weeks post surgery on Monday. Went from fiberglass cast to boot this past Monday but they also found out a couple stitches were left in and my skin was reacting to them and still bleeding. I hear you about the NWB, I want to start trying but was told to wait. I hear about others FWB right away or at only a few weeks and I can't even imagine it. I still have a moderate amount of pain but when I try putting weight on my foot it's excruciating. I'm not sure if it's bc the wound is still inflamed and irritated. I was not in good shape before the injury, however and also have rheumatoid disease, both of those things probably play a part in recovery. I guess it's highly personalized based on physical fitness and other factors. How has the past week been for you?

• Posted

I went to the doctor 6 weeks after my surgery with no weight bearing at that time. I'm now weight bearing with the choice of a boot or sneaker with crutches for 8 weeks. I'm afraid to put on a sneaker right now, so I'm sticking with the boot right now. Obviously if I have to drive I will put the sneaker on and then switch over to the boot. I'm a physical education teacher and I won't be able to return to work at the earliest December 1.

• Posted

If your doctor have you 6 weeks NWB, I would say that he'll give you a boot with about 3 wedges in it, and you'll removed 1 wegde per week. In 4week you should have no wedges in the boot (even for the past week), you'll probably start PWB then transition to FWB. So in general another 4 more weeks

• Posted

I keep hearing about these wedges. I haven't received any yet. I have my first physical therapy appointment on Wednesday. I guess I will ask them then. My heel really hurts when walking.

• Posted

Maybe your boot tilts so that it gives your foot the downwards position, which  is the same thing as what wedges gives you.
    • Posted

I had all of my wedges in boot for 4 weeks. They will take one out this week and I won't go to neutral for another month.

• Posted

I have been non weight bearing for 6 weeks also in a boot. My scar is not completely healed and it is very painful! I go back on Wed, Oct 5th to have a wedge removed from the boot and I'm Hoping to get to do a little weight bearing then. I will be 4 more weeks in the boot at the very least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.