Staples Removed - Timing

Posted , 8 users are following.

I go for 2 week post-op appointment next Thursday. I've been assuming that the staples will be removed. Just read an article that mentioned staples out "after several weeks". Is 2 the new several? 😛 Incision looks good. Just stopped bandage today as no more drainage - there had only been very minimal drainage since procedure. Just don't want to go with an expectation and be disappointed.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Probably. I had dissolving stitches with sterile strips. I was told to take the bandage off myself after 10 days and let the sterile strips fall off themselves. Everything went well.
  • Posted

On both of my hips the staples were removed at 2 weeks and it was a relief to get rid of them.
  • Posted

hi etta, 

weird that they didn't tell you .... 2 weeks post-op is usually the time when staples are removed, depending on schedule of clinic (I guess) - mine were removed at outpatient office by Surgeons assistant - My scar (s) were nicely healed and ry except for 2 little holes at either end - I preferred to have a dressing on it because of  sensitive scar ---- 

oh, what a relief - a milestone for sure 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I think two weeks is around the norm. Mine were out at 12 days. Left in for too long they would be more difficult to get out. To some extent it must depend on how your wound looks, when the nurse sees it
  • Posted

Hi

I am 4 weeks post op and I had my staples removed at home after 10days.

• Posted

Hi Etta

Yes I had mine out at 2 weeks, well that is I had 18 out at 2weeks and the other 18 out about 5 days later.

Hope you get on ok

Graham

• Posted

Thanks all for the feedback. The article I read was from a medical site - not related to my healthcare provider. I'm optimistic. Incision looks good.

• Posted

I had my staples out at 14 days, therewere 16 of them. Scar healing nicely if a little bumpy at the moment.

Best wishes,

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.