Started amlodipine 4 days ago; erractic BP readings

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 65 years old and take Atenolol, Enalapril and a water pill for high  BP, and have for many years after I had a heart attack at age 47. Recently my distolic readings have been high, and after monioring them myself and sending readings to my Dr. he has added a 4th med, amlodipine 5mg. I started taking it once a day ( in the morning with my other meds)  four days ago. I take my BP readings upon waking in  the morning, about mid day at work, and again at bedtime. First thing in themorning the reading is back to high again 150/78 thismorning; at mid day it was 105/51 and tonight beofre bed it is back up again 158/74. The readings are all over the place. Dr wants me to keep track for 14 days and send readings again. Will the readings even out do you think? It seems like the drug wears off during the day, and by bedtime and morning has crept back up again. Should I wait another 10 days before calling the Dr. and keep monitoring, or is this something that doesn't seem right to you? NO side effects so far from the amlodipine. Thank You

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello manikki , I don't think your BP is very high, as a rule the accepted normal is 140/70, but during 24 hours, it does vary, I'm sure doc is monitoring, I'm glad you have no bad affects from the Amiodarone , I am having a bad time with this, I was giving high doses for 1week 3 a day, second 2 a day for a week, then one a day prior going in to hospital for a  ,Cardioversion , but I was cancelled the day before, my kidneys are only working at 50%, to my mind, it is the drug, I had no kidneys problem till now! reading the prior discussions, this is o potent drug. We have to trust your Dr, but sometimes I wonder. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Posted

I've tried taking it at different times of day, splitting it in two etc and my bp is erratic also. I'm not sure that matters because bp is affected by other things. It is always higher at the doc's office.

i have low kidney function too. The hydrochloride is what wrecked my kidneys. Doctors have made me scared about all this but they don't seem to care and don't really even listen to my heart when I have chest pain. They put the stethoscope on my shoulder for two seconds.

or use the small bp cuff and that gives a higher reading. 

I stopped the amlodipine because it causes insomnia for me. My bp went up to 165/90 and my ears ring.

i don't know what the answer is, and no I don't trust doctors. they are young and don't care.

i hope you feel better and let us know what works for you.

• Posted

I am annoyed, the media is making a big thing about the aging population is costing too much for the NHS, but believe me, I worked in NHs for 30 years, including AandE, and I tell you, young people cost a huge amount of this money ! alcohol , drugs and smoking, bear in mind, retired people have been paying in to the system all their working lives. So we shoudent feel guilty. Hope you Dr s on the case with you.
  • Posted

Your BP is always higher in the morning and it fluctuates during the day. The text book BP is 120/80 but usually rises as you get older. Your BP is not seriously high but it would be better if it could be lower; your diastolic reading is fine. I think just do what you are doing now, I am sure your GP will keep monitoring. I hope you don't have the awful symptoms many people have on Amlodipine. I took it for 3 weeks and stopped myself, due to the swollen and painful legs and ankles. Good luck.
  • Posted

Sorry manikki, meant to say text book reading is below 120/80 (and above 90/60).

I take grapeseed extract with my BP medication, this is a natural remedy which is tried and tested, there are no known side effects. My BP has dropped since I have been combining Ramipril and grapeseed to 117/74. This was my reading at 11.00am. Google 'Grapeseed and Blood Pressure'.  It is also a good antioxident.

• Posted

Hi manikki...You didn't say how long you'd been taking the Amlodipine. By the way, your DIASTOLIC (bottom) numbers are A-ok. What you think are high is the SYSTOLIC numbers.For a person of your age, I'm sure your doctor will agree the readings aren't all that bad, but you must remember, bp varies throughout the day, & it depends on what you're doing as well. Do not take bp readings within 30 minutes of a meal, drinking coffee, any stimulants, or bathing/showing. You should sit relaxed for a few moments before taking the readings. Take THREE

readings, each about 1 min. apart, then average them.  If you haven't been doing this, by all means give it a go, then see if the results change.

• Posted

I would get another opinion on all the medications. I have been taking Amlodipine for years and it is increasing my blood pressure. Don't know what to try now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.