Started olanzapine/fluoxetine an I'm feeling weird my head is all over the place !!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had depression on and off for 10 years

I always tried antidepressants but found they didn't work so I wouldn't bother with them longer than a week etc

Until I hit rock bottom then I decided to speak to my gp because I couldn't cope with my constant worry depression and anxiety

My gp prescribed me fluoxetine for depression and olanzapine for sleep he said rather than addictive meds like Valium etc

I gave in and took the tablets religiously because I just know I couldn't take anymore I even planned my own suicide .

The first 2 + weekson meds I definitely felt worse and completely useless and worthless to anyone

Then I started changing for the better I became alive again I felt different in myself to the point I was some days really happy although my circumstances hadn't changed at all I could feel the depression lifting from me then I stopped the olanzapine for fear of getting fat and I became highly agitated hyper and anxious

I think that the fluoxetine was making me hyper an the olanzapine was making stop worrying no anxiety and I could sleep properly for the fist time in ages

And wake up earlier like 6am refreshed and ready to make my day nice an do something not waste it sitting around moping and crying

So both meds took care of my symptoms

It was only when stopping the olanzapine that I went back to being a nervous depressed anxious fool an I realized I needed the olanzapine to keep me alive and normal or at least how I think normal people feel everyday

Then I was sent to hospital for a suspected blood clot and my gp gave me a letter to take with me so I opened it and read it

It had just my previous medical history but only my diagnosis of certain hospital admissions

The first 4 were overdose of drug

Then cholecystectomy ( gallbladder removal)

Depressive disorder NEC

Then child birth normal delivery girl

Then Ibs

Then duodenitis

Crohns disease

Deep vein thrombosis

Pneumonia

That was it considering I'm at the doctors every week so they can monitor how I am and how meds are working weekly I find this odd and the fact that it says depressive disorder NEC

What does that mean

Is the gp monitoring my menta health weekly ?

Does he think I'm bi polar or something else like completely nuts ?

Or am I overthinking things ?

Why do I always overthink everything

Is that wrong mentally ?

What is normal behaviour mental health wise?

I'm really confused right now an it scares me that I don't know what normal is I'm either severely depressed or really happy but only with medication

Is this like a placebo effect I'm having or is it real ?

I think I'm really paranoid on top of it all and olanzapine stops that

I haven't taken my dose of olanzapine for 2 days and I stopped abruptly is this why I'm ranting and typing this message ?

Do I need to take it ?

Someone please answer I'm so confused

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It stands to reason if you were ok on meds start taking them again. You should never just stop medication. It should be done gradually as well as going back on it. No wonder how your feeling. The worst is the weight gain and lathargy but if your ok with that ....take what your subscribed. If not go back to your Dr and explain everything and let him/her sort it. If you have to take medication for an in balance then you do. Live with it. At the end of the day it's your wellbeing. Hope I've helped. Keep me posted. I'm on antidepressants and Olanzapine as well as a stack more.
  • Posted

You need time (restful time) to go over your thoughts. You are an overthinker like me, it is a blessing in disguise. How often do we find analytical people who ask questions about their questions, to themselves, forever pushing the internal boundaries of 'normal'. And all done, beneath the radar. It's a form of abnormality itself, right?

So anyway, let me help you in whatever way I can. You tell me what's best. Shall I begin by answering each of your questions, to the best of my ability and knowledge? May I endulge you with some of my own internal monologue type questions I stress over? A lot of them are to do with anxiety and tying to perceive and harmonise my erratic, fluctuating, dysfunctionality. 

• Posted

Hi jenny, this reply may be a bit late si I apologize. I think the reason you feel so manic is definitely because you stopped the meds but I'm not a professional. I have been on olanzapine for 10 plus years. I tried to stop taking it about 2 years ago and I started hearing voices , crying for no reason uncontrollably I would just burst out crying almost for no reason at my desk at work. I went back to a psychiatrist and asked if this was because I stopped taking olanzapine and he said it could be. So I started on it again. I definitely feel detached from people but I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation by doing cbt meditation and exercise regularly. I went to see my GP last week and I might start taking arapiprazole mainly to stop the weight gain and lessen the sedate feeling. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.