Started taking Cod Liver Oil and glucosamine capsules = painful digestion & rigid abdomen for days.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I posted in March about low Vit D levels for which GP put me on VIT D supplement for 3 months. The result has been I've gone from 22 to 55 count and she is happy now. As I mentioned that my Vit D should be so much better through the height of summer anyway she allowed I could have another blood test later in the year if I felt low again.

I decided to start taking my own supplement as my Physio had recommended glucosamine for joint pain....this way I could combine the 2 issues. However I took the tablets on Saturday for th first time and an hour or so later started with stomach pains and burping. I then practically felt the discomfort moving through my system and I'Ve been uncomfortable ever since with a hard abdomen.

I'm thinking it's the tablets upsetting my digestion as I've eaten nothing out of the ordinary.......does anyone know if these can cause digestive problems....could it be the capsule itself which is made of Beef Gelatin, Glycerol & Caramel colouring?? I'm not previously aware if any sensitivity to these products.

Andrea

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Me again.......I've been exploring the site as I also have Gilberts Syndrome.....now I think there may be a connection with low Vit D? Certainly with digestive issues. My tolerance to alcohol seems to being weakening as I get older too. Interested to see if anyone else recognises the possible link?
  • Posted

hi

if you think there is  link with the capsule products then there are vegetarian options available i think. you could try those to see if it makes any difference.

personally i have leanred not to take any supplements of anything without first discussing with my GP. if you don't want to trouble your doctor then maybe ask a pharmacist for their advice?

good luck

• Posted

Hello. My GP suggested I take a supplement if I was worried about my Vit D over winter.

I shall have to take advice about a veggie option i just dont understand what it is that's upset my digestion.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.