Starting 150 mg Venlafaxine

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have just had my Venlafaxin increased from 75 mg to 150 mg.  It's only 3 days but all I want to do is sleep and I feel sickly.

I would like to know how long it takes to feel any improvement.  I know everyone is different but I would just like some idea.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi yes I was same mine passed after couple of weeks, hang in there these are great meds xx
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie.  Are you on 150 mg?  I was on 75 mg for 10 years but when they stopped working they upped me to 150 mg and I felt so awful that I stopped taking them.  That happened twice but this  time I am going t give it longer.
    • Posted

Hi yes I was on these years back and back on them from 4 wks ago started 75 then now on 150 mg made such a difference, :-) it will pass try and eat when u take them xx
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie you have given me hope as I was convinced 150 mg wasn't going to work for me.
    • Posted

I start my 150 tomorrow. I've been starting to feel mentally and emotionally better with 75 but was increased today. I love this Rx as SSRIs spiral me into a suicidal train wreck. Did it really make you sick?

• Posted

I am no health care professional but I was on venlafaxine (Effexor) for years. Talk with your doctor about your dosage. Keep in mind that this drug is an inhibitor and is not always the fix-it pill for everyone. You may need something else cause this is a powerful drug.

But as an alternative if you are taking 2 of the 75mg pill, perhaps you could cut one of the pills in half for a well or so till your brain is ready for 150mg... However, talk with your doctor about these symptoms that you may NOT need a higher dosage of venlafaxine.

Hope this helps a bit and take note, wen you're ready to stop venlafaxine, you must taper very slowly.

• Posted

Thanks baconlaw.  The 75 mg wasn't working so my GP increased to 150 mg and said I must give it tiem.
    • Posted

After a weening period of 7weeks from 75 mg, and having taken them for 7 years, I stopped taking Ven. 

The hell I went through over the past week is enough to make me NEVER touch another one ! I am using Benadryl, Omegas, Calcium/Magnesium, chiropractic care, and loads of water to detox. 

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I'm not a veteran on venlafaxine like most of the folk that have responded to this post but I did start on 75mg and upped ot to 150mg within 6weeks of starting the stuff as I suffer with panic and anxiety disorders and depression and have done for the past 8 years but have only just sought medical help 3 months ago.

I felt exactly the same when I upped them but felt an increase in my anxiety and began getting migraines. I am still getting some side effects 6 weeks after upping the dose, although it is only increased anxiety now, the rest have gone away.

Anyway I hope this has helped.

Danielle x

• Posted

Thanks  Danielle for your reply.  Do I take it that it has cured your depression?  I guess I am lucky that I don't suffer from anxiety only the depression.  I really hope  it starts to work on your anxiety after suffering from it all that time.

Many thanks  Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat.

To be honest I don't think pills cure anything, I think they make things easier to cope/live with.

I don't think my depression has gone as I have Thanatophobia or fear of my own inevitable death and I cant see me ever being happy about it.

I suppose it depends on what it is specifically you're taking antidepressants for to how well they improve your life. For me the antidepressants have stopped the intrusive thoughts of my own demise popping into my head so often and if it does then I know I can calm myself down before a panic attack, that's what they do for me.

So no, I'm not cured, but they help me get though each day at a time.

Hope that little insight has helped Pat and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Feel free to private message me if you wish to talk further.

Best wishes

Danielle x

• Posted

Many thanks Danielle.  I don't know anything specific that causes my depression.  I have just discovered I have vitamin B12 deficiency and have got to have 6 injections.  It affects the central  nervous system so I will just have to see what happens.  I have also got to wait several weekis to see what the 150 mg Venlafaxine does.

Many thanks Pat

• Posted

Yes I've heard of deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause the worsening of depression and the people who have rectified this with getting the injections have felt much better afterwards, hope this is the case with you also.

Danielle x

• Posted

Thanks Danielle for your reply.  I'm not holding out too much hope but it would be great if it did help.  I will let you know.  I would never have known about it if this GP hadn't suggested the blood tests.  I've seen plenty of doctors over the 12 years I've had the depression and none suggested it.  I know it affects the central nervous system and is quite common n older people.
    • Posted

Yes all you've said is true, I don't know why they wouldn't have offered the injections earlier, its basically common practice to explore all avenues.

Yes please do let me know how you get on, I do hope this helps, even a little.

It could be a number of things making your depression worse, maybe the injections will help and the venlafaxine, its worked for me anyway, my depression isn't completely gone but its manageable.

Hope to hear from you soon and you're feeling much better.

Danielle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.