Starting citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I'm 20 years old and have just started taking citalopram about a week ago I started on 20 mg but the side effects were too much I couldn't even move from the sofa I was sick, sore head, aching muscles, my head was going mad I couldn't eat a thing so then I was put down to 10 mg after 3 days I've noticed I've gotten a bit better I can leave the house now the only thing is I still feel a bit sick but my appetite has came back and I wake up in the morning feeling scared and panicky an not knowing how much sleep I've had I wake up quite early than what I'm used too the only other thing that is annoying me and actually quite terrifying is this feeling of not being here it's like I'm talking to everyone and I'm answering them but I'm not taking anything in almost like a dream I don't quite know how to explain it and I just want this feeling to go away

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ive been on 10 mg for 3 months now they are side effects and they do get better its the anxiety playing tricks on u so try and put ya mind on something else .here if you wanna chat
    • Posted

Yeah I'm just trying to get through the first few weeks cuz I've read that's how long it takes before you start to notice the benefits I'm not working or doing anything atm so really all my time and attention is spent on thinking about this

• Posted

hi jenni 20mg to start of on must of been horrible i started on 10mg for 1 month then went up to 20mg but that was horrible lasted around 5/6 weeks on 20 and had enough so im now back down to 10mg and its still nasty the side effects are horrible me to are experiencing what you are im worse now then when i started 4 month ago. what was you prescibed these meds for?
    • Posted

Yeah it was a complete shock I thought i was bad before the tablets but they seemed to kick in straight away and make me feel as though I was so ill and I was prescribed them for anxiety and depression even though I never felt as though I was depressed before.
    • Posted

hi these tablets do take time sometimes a long time as i say i started 4 month ago and still feel worse then i did before i started taking these. i found if you can try to take your mind of these by doing anything you dont feel as bad the more you just sit round its always on your mind and over thinking things i feel better just by getting out of the house as hard as it seems sometimes they say exercise helps to. i always feel crap for the first half of the day and then a little better in the evening. its good alo to be around people.
    • Posted

Yeah I always feel worse in the morning and think is this even worth taking them cuz maybe I don't need them and could get back to normal myself but then my family just keep telling me to stick at it and getting to sleep at night seems like a task

• Posted

i know how you feel insomnia is one of the biggest side effects but does seem to ease of after a month or so.you will get really low times where you think do i really need this its one horrible drug for side effects especialy when you go from one dose to another its the same when you reduce them aswell thats why they say if you decide to come of them do it very slowly.the felling on the 20mg is totaly a unreal feeling i hated it just seemed to be going nowhere. but this is one good place if you need advice from others who are going through the same.so when you do feel crap theres always someone to talk to here. its hard for friends and family to understand what your feeling if they havent been there themselves.
  • Posted

Hi Jenni

I started on 20 mg of citalopram 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I had similair side effects for the first 2 weeks.  The first week was worst then improving gradually on the second week,  I know what you mean about feeling as if you're not really there.  I explained it to my husband as a fog, but it has now lifted and I feel a definite improvement to before I started taking them.  I am now eating and sleeping normally and as a result other things are falling into place like getting more exercise.  It is not a quick fix but it is worth hanging in there.  xx

• Posted

I've started to get my appetite back I just can't sleep properly at night and then I'm up early in the morning and as I'm not working the day seems to just drag in but just need to get through it to get the benefits

• Posted

I know everyone is different and it may not work for you, but i was having difficulty sleeping in the first couple of weeks and I would try and stay awake all day, no napping, to get a good night sleep as usually recommended, but it didn't work - in fact the opposite worked.  If I had a nap in the day and made sure I had enough down time I was able to sleep well at night.  A daytime nap passes a couple of hours and you never know it may help.  Glad you've got you're appetite back though, that's definately a good sign.  

• Posted

Hi Jenni, I feel your pain, I too am on the same dose but 8 weeks in now. I had and still have some of your side effects but this will get better. It looks like you might have started on too high a dose but it does effect people in different ways but I did have all that you are having and it got better, I'm still a bit funny about going out of the house but one thing about this drug is that it takes a while months rather than weeks but it will get better but keep in contact with your doc if you feel it's making you too sick, you're not alone here and everyone has gone through this, anyway always here if you need help

Gary.

• Posted

Thanks it's just hard taking a tablet everyday cuz I'm not used to it cuz I never take tablets I rarely even take painkillers when I'm feeling sick so it's a big adjustment

• Posted

I'm the same I never used to take painkillers but you just get into the habit of taking one but hopefully not for long, I heard on another forum that the vitamin niacin B3 is great for anxiety and depression I'm going to start it tomorrow and see does it help

• Posted

Hi Jenni, I've been on 10mg for 6 eeeks then went to 15 which I'm still on but my panic and anxiety the first week where awful and like you I experienced depersonalisation which is that feeling that you're not real that was the scariest thing but that only lasted a very short while and it will lift soon just try and keep busy and go out for walks if you can but I and lots of people in here had it gave the same side effects please stick with it and see how you go

• Posted

hi debbie did you have more side effects going from the 10mg up to 15mg.
    • Posted

Hi Marky I had slight anxiety but hardly anything really then broken sleep but it settled after about a week, I'm staying on 15mg at the minute and I know it's a low dose but I'm doing good so won't do anything but if I need to go to 20 I will but been on 15 for 12 days now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.