Starting dose of 125?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello there,

I am a 40 year old female. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after severe joint pain and hypersensitivity to cold. My TSH was 11.49 when I was tested. My doc put me on 125 mcg of Levo. People I work with are telling me this does is too high to start with. I'm really scared. Is it ok to start at this dose? Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give. I am so scared of side effects. I've never been on a long-standing medication before....

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I should probably also state that I am 139 pounds at 5'2"
  • Posted

The correct dose of Levo (or any other Th Med) initially is a trial and error process. 125 mcg is pretty much in the middle. To begin with the doc will sometimes multiply your weight in Kgs by 2 (and sometimes multiply by TSH - another story) to get your dose of Levo in mcg. Your weight is 63 kgs so the rule of thumb would be 2x63=126 - which is very close to the standard dose of 125 mcg.

But after about two weeks assess how you feel, if you are sleepy, dopy, full of aches and pains then your dose is too low. If you feel twichy, nervous, jumpy or your pulse is faster than normal then 125mcgs is too high.

I understand your nervousness to be taking long term medication, I had that fear too, it's OK, nothing happens suddenly with this medication - unless you take half a bottle or something equally inadvisable. Don't worry, 125 is not going to do any thing awful in either direction.

• Posted

LAHs, thank you so much for your response. That makes me feel a little bit better. I actually double checked my prescription (I was at work when I posted earlier) and I am actually prescribed 112 mcg, not 125....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.