Starting fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I suffer from clinical depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, but had been trying to cope without taking any medication and solely visiting a psychologist. For the past month my symptoms have been unbearable and so finally I visited my GP yesterday and he prescribed me Fluoxetine. Today I couldn't get out of bed. I feel like my mind has quietened down a lot already, even though I have only taken 2 pills so far, but I also feel quite spacey and out of it. I also have to keep stopping myself from grinding my teeth and I get the very occasional wave of anxiety. I just wanted to check that this was normal, although I am guessing I'll probably start to feel normal in a couple of weeks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear of your circumstances...

Yes - all of the above side effects are quite normal for this med.

It may take a couple of months sadly for these symptoms to disappear.

Keep visiting this forum and read some of the other posts... you are not alone... you have come to the right place... lots of tips and advice on all manner of Fluoxetine related stuff.

Good luck and I hope the side effects are mild.

• Posted

Yes, Sarahbia, Richo is right. Those are definitely some of the typical side effects. This is a very wonderful forum. Post anytime you need assurance or just need to talk.
  • Posted

Ive been on 10mg for a month Nd now adding deplin vitamin and im.getting better. The first 3 weeks were horrible but iifyou compare your life beforw the prozac theres only one way to go and thats up. Keep at it. Its A slow hard process. Im still not normal but im much better than before.
  • Posted

Hi Sarahbia,

Sorry you're struggling. To echo the others, it's totally normal. This is a very slow process but I honestly believe it's worth it.

I felt awful for the first few weeks, a list of side effects as long as my arm. I also felt time had slowed down so those few weeks felt like months. After about 4 weeks they started to ease. I am nearly at 9 weeks now and feeling so much better. I really believe these tablets have saved me from a complete mental breakdown and I have high hopes that things will just keep getting better.

Keep reading on here and posting whenever you need to - everyone is wonderful and it helps massively to know you aren't the only one going through it.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Katy

What dose do u take im.on 10mg but im.thinking of uping my dose but i.am doing alot better. Just today i went shopping and out to lunch with no panic. It was amazing. But i do feel myself slipping with my thoughts but not as bad

• Posted

I take 20mg. If you're feeling better already I'd stick with what you're on - it's too early to have the full benefits yet. I'm glad you're doing okay now xx
    • Posted

Hi Katy/Cass/Sarah

As Katy has just said - stick with the dose as long as possible or at least until you are confident that it needs to increase.

Having more will not make the side effects go away quicker and may even bring more varied ones.

It really does take a couple of months to settle.

Good luck all!

• Posted

Well im on week 4 as of tomorrow. I still cant goto disneyland or enytjong but im.alittle better. I just want to take my kid on vacation sad
    • Posted

Yes - the stuff does do that to you for a while.

You will pick up and the side effects will lessen...

I went to the Docs yesterday and he agreed that my self-upped dose was ok to continue.

I can face most things now - even having confidence to challenge my main problem a bit more.

Dont despair - things will improve - its just that it seems like a long time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.