Starting HRT again?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

Just wanted to ask a question, I have been on HRT for 12 years, I had a 2 year break in 2010 but went back on it, I am now 64. My usual HRT wasn't available earlier this year and the alternative made me bleed, my GP gave me Livial but by then (April) I had decided to go cold turkey and stop so didn't take it, I notice that since April my skin has really dried and looks wrinkly, libido decreased, and I am getting hot flushes again although not too bad, no energy and a bit emotional. I am thinking of going onto Livial/Tibolone but want to know if everyone gains weight and if the benefits outweigh the risks. Would love to hear from others to help me make up my mind. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sandra i was prescribed tibolone and took it for 6 weeks. I could deal with the hot flushes but my libido had decreased. It did work for me hot flushes totally stopped and it did improve my libido but i just decided to stop due to the scares of breast cancer which i know is a v ery small risk but i just didnt want to take it. I didnt gain any weight whilst i was on it.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, thanks for that, I know I am better on it and having weighed up the risks which I think are outweighed by the benefits I think I will start again this weekend. My UK GP was more than happy for me to go onto Livial even at my age so will see what happens. Just want a bit more energy and some bounce in my skin!
  • Posted

Hi ive been taking Livial for 2 years, it has increased my libido and reduced the hot flushes to a bare minimum . I have gained a few pounds and lost whilst on it. I just checked this time last year I was 4lb lighter but I haven't done any keep fit etc that I was doing at the time. So I wouldn't say Livial was the cause.

• Posted

Thanks for your input, it's so helpful to see other opinions and experiences and if as you say you haven't been exercising as before 4lbs isn't that bad!! Maybe as one other user mentioned, less wine would for me would ensure I kept my weight down but perhaps I'll just eat less and exercise more!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.