Starting Prozac for bridge off mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, I'm looking for a little support. I have been withdrawing from mirtazapine and have had a really tough time of it. I'm currently down to a tiny dose of 7.5. I have started taking Prozac 20mg for the last three days and today I feel awful. I have a lousy headache and feel rough. I know it is really early days as I think the start up effects are kicking in. Has anyone experienced this switch with success, could really do with some positive stories guy, wishing all that suffer this illness well and thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Prozac doesn't usually have any serious side affects you may feel nauseous but that may be because dosing on an empty stomach. Try using them with a meal or just after to let them settle, you feeling awful is most likely side affects from the Mirtazapine. These will wean off eventually as you start decreasing the dose, just as anything you give up that you have built a habit for, your body will try and torment you. As anything try taking the tablets the same time daily and use them as instructed. Try fitting the rough feeling by pushing yourself harder to do things you feel you can't at the moment. Hope it helps!
  • Posted

Hi Craig 

how are you feeling now? As I am about to do the same thing - wean off 20mg of mirtazapine and start on 20mg of fluoxetine.  Any help appreciated 

thanks 

Louise 

• Posted

Hi Louise, I am nearly 8 weeks off now and starting to feel normal, it was a roller coaster to say the least. I joined a Facebook group which is currently private, but all its members have or are going through mirt withdrawal, without their help I wouldn't have made it
  • Posted

Hi Craig.   That's great news that you're beginning to feel normal but 8 weeks feels like a long way off!!    Would you mind asking the Facebook group if I could join as some more support would be great.   

Cheers Lou 

• Posted

Hi Lou, the Facebook group is mirtazapine withdrawal. It's private but I will find out how to get you added. Maybe you could start by searching for me, Craig short, lives in Plymouth. All the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.