Starting Seroxat after break still nauseous after 3 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been on Paroxetine on and off (more on then off) since 2007. I find that it is very effective for my anxiety and depression disorder and whenever I've tried to stop, these came back "with a vengeance".

I finally decided that I have to be on it for life.

This time around the side effects are particularly strong, especially the nausea and lack of energy. Today will be my 27th day on 20 mg.

Need reassurance that since it was so effective in the past it will work well this time too, but feeling very discouraged by the painful side effects.

Any feedbak appreciated!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Louise.  I a

have never been nauseous but I have found seroxat to be the best personally over the years although this time I still have the pounding heart at night 

• Posted

Thanks for your comment. I agree that seroxat is very beneficial

from years of experience. I'm just having a rough start this time

around. Have never experienced the pounding heart though.

I guess every individual has a difference reaction.

smile

• Posted

Hi Louise.I havebeen on Seroxat for 20 years at least,I am surprised you say you have been off and on, I have only once tried to come off them once and the suffering i suffered coming off and again going back on has made me remain on them ever since. I am sure yu will find that the side effects will eventually ease in fact you most likely wont notice you are feeling better, I am taking 40 mg and am very particular about not missing taking them, I take mine before going to bed. I hope you are soon back to normal, (what ever normal is) and feeling better but a month is not a long time to get over the side effects.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike. you're right, I feel very silly about stopping the meds, specially the last time. Never again! I realize now it's going to be for life. I am actually encouraged by your answer because, in my frame of mind I fear won't get better again, but that's obviously the anxiety, not me. All I want is to be  back to normal, which for me is great.

Thank you very much for your message,

Louise

• Posted

Hi again Mike,

A week later and still suffering from the same side effects, I posted the same post I posted here in a Q&A forum where psychiatrists reply to your questions and the Dr. said it usually doesn't take this long for this medication to start working and that I should give it another two weeks and then try Cipralex (Lexapro).

What do you think?

Thanks,

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise.

certainly give it at least another two weeks, I would persevere with Seroxat, or at least go back to your own doctor, to change now will mean going through hell getting it out of your system then getting back on to the new one, so sorry you are struggling hope it doesn't last too long. As I said last time I have been on it for ages, I still suffer anxiety but at least I know what is happening and can control it.

good luck Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike. Went to my GP and she advised me to raise the dosage from 20mg to 30mg because I had taken it before and probably need higher dossage now. It's been 3 days, body's having a hard time adjusting to this change and feeling pretty awful, Fingers crossed it ultimately works. Got an appointment with the psichiatrist in two weeks time.

Just thought I'd update you.

Have a nice weekend

Louise

• Posted

Hi Louise,

sorry you are having such a bad time, as I think I said I am on 40mg and that seems to work for me. I guess you will have to persevere i know how horible it is but sure it will be worth it in the end. Best wishes Mike

• Posted

Hi Louise.

Hows it going, hope you are feeling better by now, but its still early days, when I came off many years ago now I went to bed for several months that was how long it took me to realise I couldnt manage without them, so dont be too concerned that they will not work because they will.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike

I appreciate your concern. I am seeing a psychiatrist who is going to be monitoring me on a regular basis and I'm happy with him. It turns out the raise in dosage from 20 to 30 mg which the GP suggested should have been done by gradual tapering, so the change actually made me feel worse sad, However the psych reassured me I am going to be fine in about 2 weeks' time. He says the side effects I'm feeling indicate that my body is responding the the SSRI. Still suffering but being patient and hopeful. I'll keep you updated on my situation. 

Take care

Louise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.