Starting the process of diagnosis for PSA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello to all,

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, maybe just need to get it out!

I have had Psoriasis since the age of 13 (now 46) and had PUVA etc at a younger age and have self managed my psoriasis up until now!

Like many I've been battling aches and pains for the last few years and keep telling myself it's just growing old!

Earlier this year I was rushed into hospital coughing up blood! After many X-rays, scans, blood tests and a bronchoscopy they could only put it down to huge inflammation in my lungs which has now healed. Ever since this happened it seems I'm on a downward spiral, psoriasis has flared, limited use in my left shoulder and excruciating pain in my left knee, toes in my left foot suddenly become so painful I also loose balance! Both hands are aching in the finger joints and fingers are swelling, my calves and Achilles' tendons are sore both in walking and touching along with pains from my right hand to my elbow!

I also feel I could sleep at anytime of the day and I have to push myself so hard to go to work!

I don't think I'm a hypochondriac as I'm not a lover of doctors but I decided to go and just discuss my aches and pains to my gp who quite frankly didn't seem too concerned! I've had blood tests today and she had referred me for X-rays and ultra sound scans of my hands only ( little confused as my knee is the biggest cause of pain )

She is putting my tiredness down to possible sleep apnea even though I told her I wake every night in aching pain and almost the feeling of pins and needles in my hands!

I also suggested to her that the inflammation in my lungs maybe related but she dismissed this totally.

Like I said above, I don't know what I'm asking? Maybe looking for similarities as I have come away from the doctors feeling like a hypochondriac!

Gaz

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Flakygaz your not going mad there a theory out now that auto imune deseases might start in the lungs and move from there
    • Posted

Hi Stephen,

I heard it was a possibility in the lungs and it scares me to death that if it is related it could happen again, as the only explanation was inflammation with no sign of virus or known illness I'm sure it's related, I will still continue to argue until I get a better explanation rather than just being dismissed.

Gary

• Posted

Sorry for late reply I too had a lung infection that wouldn't clear and was only discharged from the chest consultant after two years as it left a scar on one lung my psa seemed to start around this time this is what got me interested in the causes of the desease but have never had another lung infection since I hope this will help to reassure you,steve.b.

• Posted

You poor thing! Have you seen a rheumatologist, ask for a referral if you haven't.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Susan,

No referral to rheumatologist as yet, doctor wants to have results of bloods and X-rays first.

Will keep you updated

Gaz

• Posted

You are not a hypochondriac! All your symptoms belong to PSA. Try another doc. Took me years to understand that it wasn't just me being mad. Sometimes I'm so tired I can't get out of bed. And that's after a 10 hour sleep. I take B12 to help me through. It helps. 

• Posted

I well remember my GP's reaction to my comment that the orthpod I had just seen for back pain thought I might have PsA. Her scathing reply - "you dont have PsA!" is branded on my pysche. Not only did I have PsA I had broken a T7 vertebra, the cause of the pain, which she had treated so cursorily!  She had to back peddle rather fast.

GPs are general practionners and they dont know everything. PSA or AS are notoriously difficult to diagnose  even by rheumotolgists - a diagnosis of elimination and needs experience perferably in a hospital with a large rheumotolgy department.

Look  PsA. Are you fingers swollen as shown? Dactylitis / sausage digit - a real give away. Pitted nails? Inflammation may not show up in the tests either and you dont need to have psoriasis as it can arrive independantly.

Ask for a rheumatogly referral as soon as possible perhaps by seeing a different GP in the practice? 

• Posted

And biggest clue of all, you have psoriasis - PA must be a definite possiblity!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.