Starting to loose all hope

Posted , 5 users are following.

Every since my first panic attack i feel like my life has been ruined just lost for words at how I feel right now. Praying things get better because im a mommy to a 1yr old and my hubby is doing all he can

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Panic attacks are so horrible. It peaks fr 5 to 10 minutes. But my symptoms go on for days. Its been 8 long months now I'm struggling and i live by "it too shall pass" sometimes i wonder tho if it will pass. Prayers are with you cause this disorder is hard to cope with.

• Posted

I promise you won't feel like this forever. I know it sounds easy for me to say but I've been in your position where my anxiety was causing me to have scary intrusive thoughts and I kept thinking how can I live with this forever. But the truth is, panic attacks don't stay forever I promise. I would suggest CBT or making an appointment with your doctor. CBT really helped me deal with panic and realise that you will get through them.  
    • Posted

Hi!

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a form of treatment that focuses on examining the relationships between thoughts, feelings and behaviors. By exploring patterns of thinking that lead to self-destructive actions and the beliefs that direct these thoughts, people with mental illness can modify their patterns of thinking to improve coping. CBT is a type of psychotherapy that is different from traditional psychodynamic psychotherapy in that the therapist and the patient will actively work together to help the patient recover from their mental illness. People who seek CBT can expect their therapist to be problem-focused, and goal-directed in addressing the challenging symptoms of mental illnesses. Because CBT is an active intervention, one can also expect to do homework or practice outside of sessions.

A person who is depressed may have the belief, "I am worthless," and a person with panic disorder may have the belief, "I am in danger." While the person in distress likely believes these to be ultimate truths, with a therapist’s help, the individual is encouraged to challenge these irrational beliefs. Part of this process involves viewing such negative beliefs as hypotheses rather than facts and to test out such beliefs by “running experiments.” Furthermore, people who are participating in CBT are encouraged to monitor and write down the thoughts that pop into their minds (called "automatic thoughts"). This allows the patient and their therapist to search for patterns in their thinking that can cause them to have negative thoughts which can lead to negative feelings and self-destructive behaviors (NAMI).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.