Starting Venlafaxine, Advice/Hope Needed Please

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm soon to be starting Venlafaxine, after coming off mirtazapine and after trying , Citalopram, Fluoxetine, and Sertraline. Venlafaxine is my last hope against my depression and anxiety before a psychiatrist.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with Venlafaxine as all I can see on here is negatives. I'm desperate to benefit from this as I'm only 21 and worried of a life with depression and anxiety with nothing to ease.

I'll be starting 37.5mg 2x Daily

Thanks ,

Luke

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Luke, I have just come off of Venelafaxine and started Pristiq. Venelafaxine was helping greatly with my depression and anxiety. The only reason I stopped the medicine is because I am itching. The itching started as I was tapering off Cymbalta and was titrating up on Venlafaxine. There is no assurance that Pristiq won't have the same side effect as it has similar properties. It is a rare side effect. Give the med 6 to 8 weeks to fully help you. I wish you the best. Venlafaxine is a good medicine. Remember there is always hope.
  • Posted

Hi. I had excellent luck with this drug when it first came out and am going back on because its the best out of everything I've tried. Was on it ten years and it gave me my life back. Only switched to another newbie(cymbalta) due to Dr offering me to try. I rate it the best for anxiety /panic/depression. Good luck.😊
  • Posted

Hi luke yes i have a choking phobia and suffer anxiety constantly through the day i was so much worse off though until i started on venlafaxine they are the best deug, im like you i have tried them all but these are the best ... If you see a psychiatrist they can mix them where as doctors cant ... Im on 30mg mirtazapine and 300mg vanlafaxine so yeah i hope it works for you mate
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your reassurance and hope that it is a good medication smile . I had to push my GP for this so I hope my fight at least with the doctors may be over, and I can get back to some 'normality' what ever that is ha ha

Thanks again smile

Luke

• Posted

Hi there. I just did the switch over to effexor xr today and feel fine, no side effects. You'll be fine. Good luck and keep in touch.
  • Posted

As per RICHARDJ1985, I took mirtazapine for depression (helped with sleep) and then psychiatrist added Venlafaxine (instantly lifted depression, killed anxiety), I ended up on 15/300.  I stopped in the end because I felt better and because side effects (mainly sweating) got in the way.  Don't be afraid of getting referred to a psychiatrist, I've been seeing them on and off for quite a while.  At last (now different diagnosis/drugs) I've been completely free of depression for months.  It really is possible.  I smile driving to work wink  Don't give up, it IS possible to get out the other side.  Doesn't matter how long it takes, it's fantastic when you do.
  • Posted

I'm on them ,they have helped me ,I take 225 mg a day. 

I think they are the best ,my nurse prescribed them for me when I was going through chemo treatment ,because I was desperate.

she said the doctors don't like giving them out because they are double the price of all the other antidepressants.

only side effects are if you forget to take them you get the chills

• Posted

Hi Luke, I am also just starting Venelafaxine and am a little worried.  I've tried everything for anxiety and depression but nothing works.  Can anyone suggest what time of day works best for them?  First thing in morning or at night before bed?  It says to take with food but when I did this morning I felt a little queezy.  I'm starting out with 37.5 mg once a day.  I also take Adderall in the morning for ADHD so I'm not sure if mixing both of those made me feel sick. Any suggestions or advice would really help.

Thanks,

Bethany

• Posted

Hi there, it affects your stomach in the beginning so eat something with it. I just went back on this, and I've gotten queasy but it passes.its an excellent drug as I was on it when it first came out and boy it gave me my life back. You nigh notice you also wont be as hungry. Stick with it cause it works.
    • Posted

Thank you, do you take yours at night or morning?  I'm wondering what is more effective or if there are less side effects if taken at a different time of day depending on how much food you have consumed.  Anyone have any experience with morning or night differences?
    • Posted

I take in am per Dr. Around 8am. I know some drugs you have a choice, and some are better in am.
    • Posted

Hi beth im on 300mg of venlafaxine and i take all of mine in a morning but mine are slow release .... They wirk better than the normal ones because they work all day long and not just when i take them, i would go to the doctors again and ask for them changed to modified release there much better, i only know because when i had the normal ones ... When i took them yes they worked for about 3 hours but then nothing after that .... Deffo ask for the slow release ones i couldnt live without mine now x
    • Posted

Hi Richard, yes I forgot to mention they are the ER perscription.  I plan on starting to take the first one tonite, so that if I have any sickness, hopefully it won't be at work tomorrow and only at night.  Also, at least I have food in my stomach from dinner where I don't usually eat breakfast and am afraid I will be nauseous without food.  Here's hoping tomorrow I'm not too nauseous to make it through work.  
    • Posted

Hi, I was wondering how long it took you to see that it was working for you? I have been on it less than a week with no noticeable change but I know it may take longer plus I'm on the lowest dose. I'd love to hear from others how long to give it to see if it's working for me
    • Posted

Its different for everyone, plus it depends if your switching over meds or just starting. But I did the switch over from paxil and it was brutal. (I hated paxil). Each week got better and it wasn't long, just be patient, I started out low dose also and worked up to 75mg. best I ever was and effexor xr gave me life back and symptom free and went back to school. Each day you'll feel better and better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.