Starting weight - Time banded - Current loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

Just trying a confidence building exercise and trying to draw some motivation from everyone else's stories!

Everyone's different and surgeons seem to work in different ways to. Hoping to see a lot of success stories here and hopefully not to many unsuccessful ones!

I was banded may 2016. My starting weight was 24 stone 9lbs BMI 40. My band was left empty for the the first month and I've had 6 fills since. I am currently 23 stone 4lbs which to be honest I am really frustrated with. My diet hasn't been great since and I am still searching for the sweet spot. I'm in for the long run and will stick at it.

How is everyone else doing?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi i had my band fitted end of april 2016 my starting weight was 15st 10lb not sure what my bmi was i now weigh 12st 11lb i have a 10ml gastric band i have had 4 band fills that took me up 4ml i felt good restriction but found i could eat rather large portions of food and snacking inbetween so i decided to have 1ml extra to bring me up to 5ml after my fill i drank the water like you are advised to do before leaving the hospital and it was fine untill while driving home i could feel the water building back up in my mouth. i thought this may settle down as the day past i tried again sipping water even made my self a milky slim fast even that wouldent go down and came back up by 10pm i was very frustrated and needed something in my body as i had not eaten all day and only a coffee in the morning as my band fill appointment was early morningi i decided to go to bed and ring the clinic fist thing in the morning as soon as i layed down my mouth kept filling with fluid in and out of bed to bathroom i ended up sleeping up right on sofa all night being sick all night just water then my stomach lining and burning painfull feeling in my chest it was awfull never felt owt like it by 7am i felt so tierd and drained and shaking and still bringing fluid up. i rang the hospital and was found another hospital near me to have the 1ml taken back out the nurce took 2ml out i felt such instant relief  i could drink at last i downed a bottle of lucazade to build my energy levels back up i felt great what a massive learning curve that was just having that 1ml extra fluid in my band caused all that pain and discomfort restricting my stomach to the point of not passing fluids i am now in the thinking that i may be near to my sweet spot as i now have learnt the hard way 5ml is to much for me at the moment i now have 3ml in my band and loving it as i can eat what i like with hardly any restriction but i am being sensible and try limit my self but it being christmas and all that food about is not easey but i need to be strong with my self no way am i putting any weight back on after all my hard work. i go back to hospital in january so not long to go i will ask to go back up to my 4ml wait a few weeks see how i go on but if i find i need another fill it will be tiney to bring me up to just over 4ml and may be this could be the sweet spot for me. it just goes to show how these little fills can impact on your band so much i will keep you all posted
    • Posted

Hi Jackie

That sounds like a rough experience! Sounds like your doing well though and the weight is coming off so congratulations with that and at least you know your limits with the band filling now!

• Posted

I was banded in june 2016 and my starting weight was 22St 2lb with a bmi of 54.9.

Had an empty band for 6 weeks. And had 4 fills which was total of 4 ml then went on holiday to Spain which resulted in my band going tighter and while away Bo food would stay fone and I ended up splitting my throat when away so stuck to liquid. Got all fluid except for 1 ml taken out and stayed like that for 6 weeks. I've not had 2 fills since and I'm at 3.5ml. Due another fill in 2 weeks.

So far I have lost 6 stone and have a bmi of 39.8.

I go to a personal trainer twice a week and do weight training and cardio.

Before getting my band fitted I wasn't very hopeful as had heard so much bad stories of it not working etc.

So far I couldn't be happier with the way it's went. It gas changed my whole look on life and my figure has changed drastically.

Keep at it as I'm sure you will get there eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.