statin woes

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am making a new discussion on this as reading in this forum it  appears to me that few realize just how dangerous statin type drugs are....allergic to them. I took them once and it was like my body had turned inside out, my head ached and i got very dizzy. I did not have to get a doctor to tell me either. Be proactive. No one knows your body and what it can stand but YOU.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I think we DO know how dangerous they are:  I've been on fhis forum since before I went of statins about a year ago and there have been countless discussions on the negative effects:  muscle pain and weakness;  nerve pain; extreme lethargy;  permanent muscle and tendon damage;  depression; loss of libido.

You're right though about your own reaction to them, that hasn't been mentioned before as far as I know.  I assume you've stopped taking them?

• Posted

Oh yes, I will not do anywhere near the pill.

You know it's funny to say this now; I was feeling SOO bad I had a choice of going to ER or church. I went to Church. I thought I was going to die.eek

• Posted

You're preaching to the converted as far as I'm concerned. 10 years on statins has left me with peripheral neuropathy in my legs which has made it very difficult to walk. Gave up statins but too late to reverse my condition.
    • Posted

Please, please, please do not take what I am about to say as rude or insensitive, but could your gp not see what was happening sooner.  It's all very well prescribing a drug, but they also have a duty of care to observe the effects, which if it is counterproductive, take you off them.  Is there nothing that can be done to help you
    • Posted

Hey, I wasn't preaching to anyone, I was responding to a brand new forum contributor saying the forum doesn't talk about negative effects of statins
    • Posted

Apologies Jude the comment was meant for the OP David
    • Posted

Unfortunately by the time I had developed symptoms the damage was done and peripheral neuropathy where the nerve rather than the nerve sheath is damaged is not reversible. I asked my neurology consultant if my PN was linked to statin and she said without a moments thought, no. There is evidence, some of it on this board, that there is a connection but some doctors are in denial.
    • Posted

Have you tried Guanethidine blocks, its injected into your leg(foot, with a tornequet round your thigh) and "washes" your nerves.  You might need a few before you feel the effect, but....... 
    • Posted

That's OK - this site does that to me too sometimes, places my reply somewhere different to where I intended
    • Posted

My Dr never once asked me if I had any side effects. I even saw him when I had bad shoulder pain and I had heard Lipitor caused muscle pain. He just changed my brand. Years later when I started noticing side effects I just put it down to getting older, that is until my physio suggested I research the side effects. When I went with trepidation to tell the Dr I wasn't going to take them anymore and sat there waiting for a lecture. All he said was what are your side effects and wrote them down.Obviously by that time he knew that statins caused side effects
  • Posted

I think most people that have discussed statins one way or another, including adverse reactions  Unfortunately taking them, for some, is the only way to lower very high cholesterol counts.Given the choice of having statins, a stroke or some kind of cardiac issue within the new few years; I'll take take the statins.  Sometimes it is trial and error. You don't have to unhealthy or have a bad diet to have high cholesterol It is a matter of finding something that is right. We are all in  agreement there is one pill in particular that s causing chaos ith our systems. But how do know, until we take them  There are thousands out there that have been taking them for years, with no side effects, never having to change brands. The people on this site are the unlucky ones.
    • Posted

Then there are thousands of people that don't know that they have side effects like for example both my parents.
  • Posted

at least u came out of it. this may seem hard to believe, but I now have something that resembles dysautonimia in the form of, IST, and dizziness, aswell as big ectopic beats that really pause for a long amount of time, and that is all off taking one statin pill. I conversed with the spacedoc, ex former nasa astronaut and he said 25% of the population are sensitive to statins, so i might be one of those where taking a 40 mg pill is the same as taking an 80 mg pill. As unlikely as it may seem, I never ever had these problems until i took a statin pill and i felt the difference instantly about 2 hours after as soon as i took it. The docs can think what they like, they dont listen, and anyone else can for that matter i know what has occurred here. Im seriously debilitated by this in that, i get dizzy just going for a shower, my heart rate shoots up after eating sometimes the other night i eat some chinese and ended up going to a and e as my heart rate was 160, these drugs are terrible drugs, and there is no proof the cholesterol is even linked to cad. Just a sad shame i have become a victim of this and there is no help for it. My quality of life was already poor and now its hurrendous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.