Statins

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have tried all the statin, the last one to try was Crestor over the last 4 weeks.  As with all the others I have had really bad side effects, headaches, muscle and joint pain, lethargic, weight gain.  I don't know what to do now. I'm at hi risk of stroke, but can't cope with the side effects.  What now?!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Take small steps at a time.

look at your cholesterol level and honestly say to yourself what can I do to reduce this level. This could be  diet, exercise, loosing weight. There may be valid reasons why you cannot do this.

i have reduced my cholesterol level from 9.2 to 4.8. By a combination of loosing weight 10kg, by eating smaller meals and regular exercise, which is walking, some days it's very little others it's 24 km. yes I do take prescribed drugs from my dr which are old school ones fibrates and eztamibe. I am fortunate I have a dr who sees what I have done and supports me.

loosing weight has been the biggest factor for me. I am 68.

you can make a difference if you try and if you say to the dr this is what I want to do please support me.

i hope this helps be positive and take control of your body.

• Posted

Thank you.  I do have a very low fat diet as I prefer this and the cholesterol is hereditary, so the doctor has said. He just frightened me into taking the tablets as he said I am high risk of strokes.  I have tried all the statins and seem to get all the side effects. I do a lot of walking too, both in my job and hobby. Thank you for replying. 
  • Posted

Why are you at high risk of stroke?
    • Posted

How high was your choelesteral if you dont mind my asking. They have way lowered the numbers on choelesteral for when to start statins. Some years back my doctor said he wouldnt even bring them up unless total choelesteral was 265.
    • Posted

I used to take them,had major side affects. I quit as my quality of life had collapsed. Im not saying that i would never take them again,maybe for a valid health reason for something i have had,heart attack etc,but even then i would probably only try the lowest dose. If i got the side affects again i would stop.
    • Posted

Lee , u ours absolutely right. I was on crestor from 2004 until 6 months ago , when my new GP took me off. Crestor , I believe , is about the strongest on the mkt. and they come with many side effects , some of which are permanent. The pharmaceuticals hid a lot of research from doctors . My GP said the same thing. 265 or higher , then they have a place in medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.