Statins and neuropathy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Clearly there is a connection between statin use and neuropathy, and now this is me.

I took statins for a year on, a year off, and was back for several months when neuropathy hit. I have been now diagnosed with Idiopathic (of course!) Axonal Peripheral Neuropathy.

Well, who knows if statins are for sure the cause, and obviously my GP will never admit the connection. Neurologist, when confirming diagnosis, told me to stop the statins and start coQ10. Suspicious, no?

Now I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this, and would love ? to hear a good story about the possibility of neuropathy either reversing or just stopping where it is- yeah?!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a massive heart attack in May, 2014. I was revived after being dead for about half an hour. They did an angioplasty and put a stent. I was satrted on statins right from that day. I had giddiness. After one year they did an angiogram and found two blocks. I underwent Cardiac surgery in July, 2015. The statins continued throughout.

​I got diabetic Neuropathy though diabetes was under control. Then In June2016 i stopped statins by mistake. Overnight the Neuropathy improved. but i was not able to convince my Doctor. But he reduced the dosage.

​Diabetic Neuropthy has almost gone now. There is a daily improvement and i am sure it would go away in a matter of months.

​So stop taking satatins if you can.

• Posted

Thank you, Sankar.....  For your note.  What a story you share!!!!

I stopped instantly (two weeks ago) and was so angry at myself for even beginning these things, in that I KNEW they were problematic.  Neuropathy hasn't improved, not sure it has progressed, but this has been a slow road.  

Just so anxious to know I have at least stopped this thing in its tracks.  Notes like yours provide some optimism.  

Thank you again.  Hope this finds you doing better by the day~

• Posted

Chicosalt, you will find many horror stories on here in regards to Statins. Step 1 is to stop them,, then try to repair the damage they have caused. Of course the risk is high colesterol but there are more natural things you can take to lower colesterol again you will find those on this site.

What I and many have found is CoQ10 really helps repair the damage - but it takes time, lots of time. For me so far around 5 months, leg cramps have stopped memory is slowly improving, but it is the neck cramps and head pain I struggle with on a daily basis. Magnesium is also something to try, look for a magnesium complex formula high in magnesium celate and low or no magnesium oxide.

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advise just trying to help

• Posted

Ah, thank you, Julia!

If you're like me, just knowing there is hope, regardless of the struggle, is the world!

Yep, taking lots of CoQ10 and magnesium glysinate/lisinate chelate, so good to go.

Several years ago, I went on personal and strict no sugar/flour/processed food diet and cholesterol dropped 75 points. That diet was short lived, too bad, and I guess it is time for a life long commitment to healthy eating. Funny how we resist this!

Luck and health to you and me, and thank you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.