Statins - Pravastatin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having suffered all the problems connected with statins I have requested to stop taking them as my life is so different without them for the better. However I have a condition called Subclavian steal syndrome which is basically a blocked artery that cannot be operated on as its too dangerous. On the advice of my doctor I am triyng Pravastatin. Has anyone been prescribed this drug and had any of the usual side effects with it. If it is just like all the rest of the statins I am prepared to give them up altogether whatever the risk as I cannot cope with the side effects.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I took Pravastatin for 20 years. The only side effects I had throughout that time as far as I know (I had other health problems) were legs aching at night. However 5 years ago I started having severe pains in my arms, shoulders and neck. I have tried each of the statins since the. We can only think that the onset was due to a reaction with one of my other 11 medications or something changing in my body. I am now 62. I had bad bi-femeral and aortic blockages before I was put on them. I still have that but I am still alive. However, like you, it is very difficult to cope with the pain which doesn't seem to be touched by strong painkillers.
  • Posted

HI MOK ,the last statin I took ...and I tried a few....was pravastatin I can't remember how long I took them for......but the pain and weakness in my thigh muscles was unbearable.....I couldn't walk upstairs...I couldn't even rise from a chair...my gp said....after blood tests...that there was nothing wrong with me....so I stopped taking them...and the pain and weakness stopped....you might be completely different.....I have never taken another statin ...and I never will...good luck whatever you decide
    • Posted

good day to you lisa, please what did you use to get rid of your colesterol before blood test, and how long you stop pravastin before blood test? thanks.
  • Posted

I went through all the statins, including I think that one, at all available levels of dosage, with no change in the side effects.  

There's at least one NON STATIN  cholesterol lowering drug, the name of which I can't remember I'm sorry to say BUT I only tried it for a couple of weeks until the old familiar side effects came back, leading me to believe that it's the dropping of cholesterol itself which causes them - just a theory of my own.

Before statins were invented there were other medications available which also had side effects, but hardly anyone even knows about them since the statins took over.  Apparently their side effects were erratic hot flushes and a bad taste n the mouth, but as far as I've been able to find out nowhere near as bad side effects as statins.

I don't understand your reference to requesting to come off the statins:  you don't have to ask what substances you decide to put or not put in your body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.