Steady flow

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a urolift on Monday. Tuesday night was terrible in terms of sleeping and emptying out. Today I'm able to urinate a little better. It seems like I just can't empty out. I have very slow and weak stream. Please share your experience in getting better flow, how long it took, and if you are better able to empty.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I experienced near total blockage of urine flow that resolved rapidly 72 hours post UroLift install. Hang in there another 24 hours or so as help is likely on the way.
  • Posted

Give your self some time to heal.  I had mine 2 years ago and I was good at the end of the week.  All men heal at there own rate.  Relax and drink alot of water Remember the prostate is still swollon and will be foe a little while  Take care  Ken   
  • Posted

I had a urolift on Monday also.  Slept only 4 hours (went to sleep 3:30 am Tuesday).  The next night I had 6 hours (did not wake up - first time in years).  Wed night/Thurs am - I was up 3 times.  Following night (last night) up 1 time.  No visible blood in urine by Tuesday.  However, on Thursday evening, I did see blood in the urine and a clot.  Friday morning no visible blood.

Physical activity - 1 walk about 1.5 miles on Wed.  Nothing Thursday.  None planned for today.

Flow was variable - some days better.  Some days same as before surgery.  Overall it seems to be getting better.

Conclusion - I have to take a deep breath.  Recovery is not linear.  Take it slow.

I am scheduled to do a PVR/Uroflow and follow up doctor visit in 9 days (2 weeks after the procedure.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

• Posted

Compared to mine, sorry to hear about your slower recovery.  I was better immediately, and the minor pain and blood in urine disappeared in just a few days.  There are so many factors involved--size and shape of the prostate, to start--that it's likely to be different for all of us.  After an initially very strong stream--strong enough to be surprised and miss the toilet bowl a time or two, cleanup surprise--the stream settled down after a week or two, and seems to be gradually slowing, now about 8 months post-op.  Still not inconvenienced in any way, a huge improvement.  

Kegel exercises might help with emptying the bladder, and controlling start & stop.  It's basically squeeze hard, as if stopping urination, hold a few seconds, relax, repeat.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I had urolift about 19 months ago.  I'm 72yo now.  Takes a while to heal up...takes a while to stop feeling the new hardware inside - I had six.  It does get better and better and better.  Before the urolift was up every hour or less for years...was a zombie during the day.  Now, I'm only up once a night and that's a dream for me.  One thing that helped for me, your mileage may vary, was a sleep study.  They found restless leg syndrome, treated with medication, and sleep apnea, treated with a CPAP machine.  Love it.  So maybe it wasn't my bladder waking me up all the time after all since that same bladder is fine since the CPAP.  So a full medical eval might be helpful.   But only a few days post urolift your bladder is still gonna feel insulted....give it time.  I took notes every time I got up so I could report for sure and see the improvement.

• Posted

I've read other places about CPAP helping with night time urination.

• Posted

I appreciate all the comments. Today, I noticed a very large black & blue bruised type area on my lower belly. Has anyone experienced that? Is it from the procedure pokong? Is it from pushing hard to empty? Anyone have this happen to them? If so, how long to heal?

• Posted

I have no clue but I'm wondering, does it hurt to push on the black & blue area? Sounds like you have some bleeding going on. 

• Posted

There is slight pain when I push. I feel slight pain when getting up from a sitting position. Kinda feels like I did too many sit ups.
    • Posted

I'll be interested to see what others that have had urolift have to say. Good luck to you sam

• Posted

I have not noticed any black and blue from the procedure a week ago.  Today was the first time I did any exercise other than walking.  It does feel a little tender, but I have not seen any blood since the 3rd day.  I walked about a mile on the 2nd day after surgery and 1.5 mile on the 6th day.  Mostly, I rest.  Honey-do projects are piling up.  Cautious watching until next week's follow up with the urologist.  Is that when your follow's scheduled?

• Posted

The appointment next week is 2 part: 1)  Drink a liter of water.  1 Hour later (if I last that long) pee in a can that's connected to a computer/scale.  2) see the doctor.  Besides the discussion on flow improvement, I will ask about other issues.  While it seems that the flow has improved, curiously though it hurt like a ... on the 2nd day the flow seemed really good.  Since the 3rd day, it's good, but not as good.  One good thing, I am only getting up once a night to pee.  Part is the surgery (I hope) and part is my wife getting a new sleep apnea machine that doesn't wake her up as much.  When she got up, I would get up.

Good luck on your healing.  If you're like me, we're looking for things to distract from thinking about the word prostate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.