Steroid injection.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Well I had my steroid inj into the big toe joint last tuesday. This was because the joint is rigid and very painful to walk on. The inj was painful and uncomfortable but only for a few minutes. A local anaesthetic is injected at the same time (under guided x-ray) so that when they ask you to walk on it, in the theatre, you can tell if it's in the right place as the pain should be gone. And it was! What an amazing feeling, my B.P. went sky high! However once the local wore off the pain returned and here I am a week later and still in pain. Admittedly not as much as before. My surgeon has told me to get back to him when I want as he needs to fuse the joint. I am not ready for another operation yet, only 10 months since bunion op. I so want my life back tho!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan

I just posted on Terri's discussion - I have had mine fused and it goes off to the left still!  I had the steroid injection two weeks ago and it hurt like mad but only whilst he did it but I had my screw taken out under local at the same time so probably deadened the area anyway BUT two weeks on and I can walk better now so I hope i am on the mend.  My big toe hurts sometimes when I walk still but maybe because I am walking more on it now the ball bit doesn't hurt - always something not quite right isn't there! I too just want my life back (10 mths since double bunion op)!!!!

• Posted

Hi Jacckie, double bunion brave girl!

Maybe you can give me some details about the fusion op. Were you back in a walking boot, how long etc. Can you wear a slight heel now or is it flats for life? I ask because my son has just got engaged and I'm worrying about an outfit.

10 months on and as you say, always something. Pain free is all I need.

Hope your pain settles soon. I thought after a week the steroid result was as good as it was going to get so you have made me hopeful for the future, thank you!

• Posted

Hi Susan

My left big toe was fused as it was by far the worst so in comparrison to the right which wasn't fused (the one that gave me the most pain though before the op) I was given velcro booties and told to walk from the moment I came round with the aid of crutches.  After 6 wks the right bootie was removed and I was back in a plimsol (a wide flat lace up with very soft canvas) but as the left had been fused I had to wait another 3 wks before that one was discarded (9 wks in total after the op). Everyone is different, I can't wear heels, the screw was sticking out and rubbing. I still have a bunion and the stitch is still healing but believe me when it's healed I will be trying to get into a slight heel - think the surgeon said no higher than 2 inches! I was contemplating getting Flatforms but they don't look very elegant. I live in ugg type boots and sketchers pullons which I know are not pretty either but at least comfy for now. I have a friend who has had the op over three years ago (no fusion) and she is always in high heels.  We can dream! Hey I ran for the first time today (not proper running....after my son who was driving off) so things must be improving!!! Silver lining me hopes! x

• Posted

9 weeks in the walking boot after fusion! I was not expecting that. You have had a struggle. I could not run to save myself at the moment but heres hoping. Paula Radcliffe, the runner, had her bunions done but she would have the best surgeon/physio etc to aid her recovery. She wears heels and is good as new, guess we will take our own time.

Thank you for the info, wishing you well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.