Steroid injection

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am about to have a steroid injection in inner ear (20.10.16). Has this worked for people and what does it improve. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Improvement is noted in about 50% of cases with steroid injections in all aspects.  Note: Gentamcin is not the same thing and is completely different.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

The steroid injections worked for me.  They slowed my vertigo attacks to almost none.  The steroid my ENT used was dexmethasone and I had four injections over a few weeks time.  It does not do anything to your hearing, and is relatively painless.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm suffering from vertigo daily. My doctor suggested that this will be only temporary relief and is holding with gentamicin injections as there is always underlying condition.

Pinched upper neck nerves from injury or tmj agrawating inner ear and the balance nerves that are located on bottom of your skull. Check if you have thigh neck pain or just tension over that area. Dental work dose disabliaze the jaw nerves and disc and cause imbalance. I took prednisone and it didn't help at all.

Good luck

• Posted

Ray,

After 9 injections, I've been vertigo-free for 10 weeks.  It's a miracle.  I continue to have intermittent ear fullness, fluctuating tinnitus, hearing loss in my left ear, and an occasional loss of balance.  But, it was the vertigo that was debilitating...physicallly and emotionally.  The other symptoms are annoying, but compared to continuous vertigo?  A day at the beach.  

I wish you great success with your injections.  It might take a few before you begin to experience a decrease in frequency and intensity of the vertigo, but for me, it was well worth the wait. 

Take good care.  Please let us know how it goes!

J-

• Posted

Hi JMJ, really appreciate your feeback. Only had 1 injection so far but was hoping not to have any more we'll see.     

• Posted

Hi Ray,

please don't lose hope!  My doctor told me that it's unusual for a patient to respond after just one injection.  He said that it typically takes a few shots before you see a significant decrease in the frequency and intensity of the vertigo episodes.  Hang in there.... it's a slow process, but worth the try.  

Take good care....

J-

• Posted

Thanks again, just want to get some normality back in my life!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.