Steroid injections.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had my 2nd lot of steroids injections in my knees, for treatment of Psoriatic arthritis and slight Osteoarthritis, the 1st injections worked quite well, I was able to walk for a while until I tried to drive my car and it all started again, this 2nd lot of injections do not seem to have the same effect, the first two weeks my knees were more flexible, on the third week, they are now stiffened again, harder to walk. As I have not had injections before, was on Methertrexate, is all this side effects normal, still having to take painkillers, swollen hand, rash on foot, all only occured since the injection, would appreciate any answers and advice.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

Like yourself I had steroid injections, these were in my thumb about 3 times for osteoarthritis, the 1st time it was brilliant and lasted about 18 months, the next twice they did not work at all, I ended up having a joint replacement, the surgeon at the time told me that this can be the case with steroid injections they never seem to work after the first time.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your reply, after the 2nd lot of injections I decided i wasn't having anymore and I asked for methotrexate, which I had before, which worked until i took a tumble. I have been on methotrexate for a month now and can feel I slight improvement, so hopefully after a few months I'll be back on my feet.  Hope you are ok.

• Posted

Injection have a short fix. Usually it's something we all hope would help long term. 

I had shots in hip didn't help at all.,finally had to have THR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.