Steroid injections to hands

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm going to to get my knuckles injected tomorrow and they said they can do it under local anesthetic, however apparently the pressure you can feel isn't very good and can be eye watering and uncomfortable do I may be able to get general anaesthetic but I've never been under that before and don't know how I'll react to it. Just really nervous and need help choosing what to do

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had several steroid injections in my finger and they are painful at the time. and that is with a local anesthetic. My surgeon was great and stopped for a while. The real pain is afterwards though. I doubt they would give a general because it would be very expensive.  Its not that bad. I laid down when I had mine done. 
  • Posted

General anaesthetic is not without its own possible complications.  Ask if you can be given something to relax you so that the procedure won't seem as terrifying.  I had a biopsy under local anaesthetic (at my request) and it was uncomfortable, but once it was over it was over.  No waking up feeling groggy and sick an hour or so later.  Just needed to sit and rest for a few minutes.  confused

• Posted

In Canada we are permitted to have a cortisone injection once every 90 days. I have them on a regular basis in the knuckles of both hands. 

However each person's pain threshold is different. 

I place ice on the injection site an hour or two later. Advised not to do it. Immediately after.

in my opinion a general anaesthetic is over kill

• Posted

I have had cortisone injections thou not in my fingers. It hurts even with local anesthetic. It only lasts whilst being injected, a few seconds at most. You will be able to sit down after and i was given a hot drink. This treatment is not available with a general anaesthetic, as it would require a bed in a general ward and more staff etc. There are more risks involved with a general anaesthetic and it is not cost effective. I have had an operation with local anaesthetic and beleive me the injections are more painful but as i said its short lived pain. Distraction is the best way to deal with this and a few deep breaths. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.