Steroids for inflammation caused by virus

Posted , 2 users are following.

when we first get dizzy we are usually checked to see if we've had an ear infection in the outer part. If they suspect bacteria then we get antibiotics. If it's just down to a virus and it inflames the nerves in our vestibular area surely apart from dizzy medication at least after 3 months steroid medication should be used? If we had a pain in the back and normal imflamatory medication doesn't work we are given stronger ones like naproxen which have to say is great on migraines. So question why are we not treated with stronger nsaid as some of us use nasal steroid sprays for eus tube dysfunction. I know of some cases where steroid injections are put in the ear. Whilst I feel long term medication is not good for us surely for some of us this may be another route to try.ENT are divided on this and some say it doesn't help. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had success with steroid treatment

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Steroid worsened my case and it causes other problems which we don't know can make symptoms worse.

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking what other problems did they cause

• Posted

Since science is not advanced in cases of ssnhl and we don't exactly know the reason behind the problem, steroid clots the blood arteries , arteries to inner ear may get clot and cause problems. Steroids increases sodium level which may trigger meniere attacks if that's thr case.

• Posted

Moreover it decreases your immunity power and it won't be able to fight viral attacks.

• Posted

Dear Liz,

Are you asking about oral steroids, or steroid injections directly into the inner ear?

Thanks,

J-

• Posted

Hi jmj

i was asking about both types. Maybe not long term as I know they are not good for the body. I heard success stories with injections in the ear drum. Steroids help certain inflationary conditions in other parts of the body hence my question could this help. If the nerves are inflamed then maybe a short course can delay the agony of it going on for months. But yes I prefer healthly diet rest and vit d and ginkgo to see if that works. I'm improving now and I use a focus technique counting to 100 and reverse when I feel unsteady or out walking or supermarket. This really works but takes practice. 

Thanks for your reply

liz uk

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the clarification.  I do have experience with steroid injections.  If interested, see discussions:  yvetter1988's "Steroids for MD" and JMJ's "Relapse Afte 16 Weeks". 

I'm happy to hear that a more natural approach, with ginko, vit d, and focusing, is working for you!  I always learn so much on this forum, and I'm always happy to hear about success with MD!

Take good care,

JMJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.