stich (thread) poking from inside, after 8 month of umblical hernia reapired with mesh

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI EVERYONE, I HAD MY UMBLICAL HERNIA REPAIRED WITH MESH 8 MONTHS AGO, EVERY THING WAS GOING GOOD UNTILL 3 DAYS BEFORE, AS I STARTED FEELING SOMETHING INSIDE (CLOSE TO NAVEL) & THEN I STARTED FEELING SHOOTING PAIN (LIKE NAIL OR GLASS POKING ME INSIDE) WENT TO SEE MY GP, HE SAID ITS A STICH WHICH USED TO TIE MESH, WENT FOR ULTRASOUND WHICH CONFIRM ITS STICH( PLASTIC WIRE WHICH DR USED TO TIE MESH) POKING ON MY SKIN & CAUSING ME PAIN.

TODAY WENT TO EMEMRGENCY FOR THE SAME & AFTER A LONG WAIT, MY CHECKUP WAS DONE, ULTRASOUND CHECKED & DR DISCUSS WITH THE TEAM WHO DID THIS SERGERY... THEY CANT DO MUCH ABOUT IT, THIS THREAD INSIDE MY BODY EVENTUALLY WILL COME OUT OF MY STOMACH & THEN I CAN GO TO THE GP HE CAN CUT THAT, UNTILL I HAVE TO BEAR THE PAIN, I TOLD HIM MY JOB IS LIFTING AS I M A COURIER, HE SAID ITS BETTER, COZ IT WILL POKE MORE & COME EARLY...

ANYONE WENT THOUGH THIS PROBLEM ..... PLEASE ADVICE   

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ajay,

I had a similar experience some years ago after an operation for cancer in which my chest was opened from my neck to the bottom of my sternum. After the operation as the external 20 inch scar healed I noticed something poking out of a small hole at the bottom of the scar. I foolishly pulled it and a length of what looked like thick nylon fishing line came out along with a sort of tightening feeling internally. I thought “I’m not going to pull that any more!” and pushed it back in and left it. I wasn’t feeling any significant pain so I just ignored it and the scar healed with no complications. That was 22 years ago.

I wouldn’t worry too much if I were you. I’m sorry it is painful for you but as you say you’ll just have to grin and bear it for a while and the Dr can chop it off once it shows itself BUT if the pain becomes worse I might start to worry that it might be a nerve trapped by the mesh. However from what others have said the pain resulting from a trapped nerve is more severe.

Lastly, I know we all have to earn a living but please do be careful not to lift anything heavy for a while; you don’t want to weaken the hernia repair and have to have more surgery.

• Posted

Thanks Phil, i feel relaxed with your reply... hiw about if this wire insire create a wound while poking my skin 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear. I had just the opposite. They left some thread sticking out of me, after my surgery. I gently tugged on it, and it came out about another half an inch. I didn't want to pull the stitching apart, so I took a lighter, and burned it off.

• Posted

GOOD AFTERNOON...

TODAY WENT TO SEE MY GP & DISCUSSED...HE SAID IT SHOULD BE CUT OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE IN PAIN , SO HE GAVE ME LOCAL ANESTICIA & CUT THE SKIN... BUT WAS ABLE TO CUT HARDLY 2-3 MM. 

WILL CHECK IN EVENING & SEE HOW IT GOES NOW.

REGARDS

• Posted

Sounds like a surgical TACK ? They are using plastic as surgical tacks now? Do you or did you aquire your Surgical reports from the day of your Operation?? If not do that next and see what exactly was used in YOUR repair.
    • Posted

will go to the hospital & ask for my discharge sumaryI dont know what they used.... just knoe that they used mesh...

my gp yesterday was able to cut fish line (black colour) just 2-3 mm

• Posted

Yes I would get you operativer or surgical report it will have copies of the surgeons notes and mesh used LOT and batch numbers this info will NOT be in your discharge papers though. These are usually obtained through a records request. Get all your ducks in a row now and prepare for the worst and hope for the best at this stage, but I hope you feel better. Welcome to our nightmare.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.