stiff joints

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning you guys. Every morning I wake up with back ache knee ache ankle ache etc etc and I put this down to bad walking before and after my TNR. Does anyone take a supplement for this and does it work particularly on a new joint??? Im only57 but I feel like 157 when I wake up???

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Andrea

I can empathise with this except I haven't had a TNR .

Have you had your Vit D level checked? Have you had a dexa scan?

What do you take for the pain/

Sorry about asking all these questions.  Jean

• Posted

Andrea

Just thought on I take magnesium and Vit D3 plus calcium. However should only be done under medical supervision. I have a Vit D deficiency.

Magnesium is a muscle relxant.

Jean

• Posted

Thank you jean. Can you buy magnesium over the counter or just on prescription? ?
    • Posted

Hi Andrea

You can buy it OTC. Are you in the UK? If so any chemist, supermarket, health food shop will stock it, however please check that you buy the right kind of magnesium you need the one that does not cause diarrhoea. Also need to check for any interactions with any meds you take. You could check it out yourself on the internet or ask the chemist.

Magnesium is also necessary to absorb calcium and vitamin D. ALso we need it for our heart.

U can also buy magnesium and vit B6 combined but overdoing the B6 can cause muscle stiffness which no one wants. Have you tried Omega 3 ? Good for stiffness of the joints as well as good  for the heart.

Jean x

• Posted

Thanks jean im def going to try something il speak to the chemist x
  • Posted

Oh, Andrea, I am right there with you on this! Not only do I ache in the morning when I get up; I ache ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT as well!

Night time is SO DIFFICULT for me, and the first movements as I try to get moving upon waking are just as you say...feeling like an extremely old person!

I take over-the -counter meds only because so many of the ones I have tried have weird side effects for me. I had hoped to find SOMETHING that worked well, but I haven't really been to successful on that.

It has been raining here (Ohio, USA) for several days. That just adds to the achiness.

My best strategy so far is ICY HOT roll-on for my lower back and LOTS of stretching and moving throughout the night in bed and even getting up and walking around.

It seems that as we age (I am 64), the synovial fluid that lubricates our joints is less AND it needs time to move into the joints after we have been resting or sleeping.

Have you noticed that you have aches OTHER PLACES besides your joints? I certainly do have that and wonder if I have something EKSE going on besides arthritis!

I had my first TKR in June. I will have my right knee done this coming Friday. I somehow expected that I would have less pain and stiffness once my knees were taken care of with surgery. My KNEES will be good, but the rest of my body still aches and is stiff. Not a welcome experience, for SURE!

I hope BOTH of us can get some relief. I know EXACTLY what you mean about FEELING 157!!!

• Posted

Cheryl

No you haven't got anything else going on. You would not be having surgery if you had!!

The weather definitely does not help. Aches and pains are common due to many factors. Mattresses, chairs etc not being supportive enough.

Vitamin D deficency.Poor position whilst sleeping, sitting even walking.

Have you tried a TENS machine, heat pads etc.Also magnesium is a muscle relaxant and Omega 3 is good for the joints. Gluten intolerance can cause  the Gluten Syndrome and cause painful joints etc.

• Posted

Im still glad I had it done though cos I can walk pain free at least? ?? Lol
    • Posted

Yes, weather IS a big factor. It is mild and sunny today, and I feel better than I have for three days!

I am good on vitamin D, and I have been taking Omega 3 for the last year. I have no gluten intolerance.

I DO walk weird, but hopefully with my surgery coming up this week I will eliminate one more source of my pain (after recovery, that is!)

Arthritis is a real bummer of a DISEASE!

• Posted

What is your vitamin D level or did your sirgery just say that the level was fine and nothing to worry about!
    • Posted

Yes, arthritis is horrid! I don't think it gets the attention it deserves.
    • Posted

I think that so many of us just learn to deal with the PAIN and stiffness. People without arthritis don't "get" that we are ALWAYS in pain but just KEEP GOING.

We "look" OK, so the arthritis just doesn't "seem" to be a big deal.

Now, I'm not suggesting that those of us with arthritis start moaning and groaning or that we just give up, but honestly, you would think that with one out of three people experiencing the disease in varying severity that more would be happening to give better pain management AND, more importantly, to ELIMINATE this awful disease!

I hope you are having less pain and stiffness today. I am enjoying some sun instead of all the RAIN we have had. Sun and better weather helps.

• Posted

My Rheumotologist took my blood several months ago to test for the TYPE of arthritis I had. One of the tests was for vitamin D. They said hardly anyone ever has enough here in Ohio with all the cloud cover! I happened to have plenty, and they were surprised.

I can look up my results in my Patient Portal to check if there was a number and get back to you on that.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

I think it is a good idea to get the actual reading because different drs at different  hospitals etc have differing ideas on the levels of a lot of things including vitamin D.

When they check the vit D they should also be checking the pth, calcium and phosphate at the same time. Ths is called a bone profile.

• Posted

Hi Jean!

Just checked the lab report from my Rheumotologist.

The test name is VITAMIN D 25. Normal range for the test is 30-100. My result was 50ng/ml. The comment was "Optimal levels are >or= 30ng/ml.

• Posted

Hi again, Jean!

My calcium was 9.7 MG/DL. ( normal range 8.6-10.4)

Potassium was 4.2 MMOL/L (normal 3.5-5.3)

Didn't find anything resembling that third one

• Posted

What is pth and is it known by other names or initials?
    • Posted

I checked PHOS which read as ALK PHOS. My result was 83 U/L. (normal 33-130)

Still can't find any pth anything.

• Posted

Seems a little low to me.

My minimum optimal level is at least 75nnmols/L.

Can you write to the college of Endocrinologists for their guidelines on levels. Are you in the US.

• Posted

Don't see anything resembling that from my Rheumotologist.

Maybe that test was done at my primary care doctor's office.

Will check...

• Posted

Good idea. Look it up, print it off and erhaps show to your dr if amenable. Jean
    • Posted

Cheryl

I am feeling tired!

I meant print off the info from the internet on the bone profile . Then show it to your dr if he is amenable to being educated about the bone profile that is. Sorry if  sound pompous.

• Posted

No, sounds interesting. THANKS!

I always pass my bone density tests. German /Welsh ancestry...big and sturdy bones!

Is this related to bone DENSITY?

• Posted

Cheryl

Have they done a phosphate test and also creatinine kinase?

• Posted

Checked my last physical from April with my Primary Care Physician...

Creatinine was .8

(normal is .4 - 1.6)

ALK Phosphatase was 89

(normal is 35 - 125)

If they say I am good to go, then I don't sweat it! I'm not a doctor, so I wouldn't call them on anything that checks within normal limits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.