Stiffness and swelling

Posted , 10 users are following.

It has been 5 months since my tkr and I am still experiencing daily stiffness and swelling. Can anyone tell me if the stiffness finally goes away on its own? I still am having horrible swelling every day making exercises to improve my knee flexion almost impossible. I can only bend it just so much and then the swelling takes over. I can do 10 minutes 3 times a day on my recumbent bike but every time I try to increase the time my leg starts to ache big time. Does anyone still have just 100 degree flexion after a lengthy time? Can I live this way forever? I don't think it will ever bend any further.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

It takes time...and patience...

• Posted

I did read that one and found it very informative except I didn't see an answer for does the stiffness gradually go away on its own without my help. Also I hate walking alone. I find it boring and there are no sidewalks where I live.

• Posted

Hi Jeanne,

i am 9 months or so out from bilateral tkr's.  I don't have positive advice I'm afraid.  I have stiffness still, in both knees.  Especially when I first get up or I've sat for too long.  It does tend to ease once I'm walking around.  Never completely gone away though.  I have swelling in one of my knees and like you, have difficulty bending it as much as the other.  I never received physio after I left hospital.  While there, my knees bent at 90 degrees and 100.  They straightened ok and I was able to walk unaided and that was that.  Had a couple of checkups with surgeon and he seemed happy enough.  

I really cant complain.  The stiffness and numbness I feel are a lot better to deal with than the pain before the operation.  Time really does make a difference and we're all guilty of wanting improvement yesterday.  If you read other entries on here, there are some really sad cases.  Remain positive, take pain mads when needed and excercise without over doing.  It's a major operation remember, lots of nerve and muscle damage, as well as the alien objects replacing our knees.  

Best wishes

Sue 

• Posted

Thanks Sue, it is nice to know I am not alone .I'm finished with my pt so I am more or less on my own. Am going to surgeon in August. I will see what he thinks then.

• Posted

Hi Jeanne...If you don't like walking alone, and there are no sidewalks where you live, why don't you get a walking dvd and do it in the comfort of your own home.  I have alsways walked for fitness and was walking 3 miles three times a week before i fell. tore my meniscus and wound up with bone on bone; candidate for TKR.  I am 8 weeks post op and it is very hot outside so I have a  a few dvd's on walking,  Some of them have 1, 2 and 3 mile walks.  It's usually to music and fun.

I still have stiffness and swelling at 8 weeks post op.  My doctor said it can take up to a year to feel comfortable with the knee.

Like everyone says, be patient.

Feel well and if you are really concerned about something, ask your doctor. It's your right!.....Marillyn

• Posted

Hi Jeanne!

I'm 13 months post op with Knee #1 and 10 months post op with Knee #2. I experience stiffness each morning for awhile and stiffness each time I have been sitting too long. Rain days and snowstorms bring additional stiffness.

I stretch often throughout the day and even during the night. It helps.

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication, so it helps with swelling.

I measure flexibility improvement by real-life situations. For example, we had dinner at our youngest son's condo last night. As I climbed onto my chair that matched his hightop table, I had very little trouble. This was an improvement from just a month ago when I got on my chair in a VERY awkward manner!?? Also, two months ago I was unable to bend my knees enough to place my feet on the chair rungs. I did it easily last night. ????

All this is in contrast to Christmas when I needed help getting on and off the chair AND a stool under my feet!

Getting into our low Kia and our high Jeep Grand Cherokee has gotten easier. That is a VERY good measure of my improvement that makes me pleased without playing any measuring games with angles and numbers.

Maybe you need to take it easy and give your knees a rest. You are probably doing MUCH BETTER than you THINK you are doing!????????

• Posted

My TKR was March 10 and I'm still having ALOT of swelling . . And pain! My bend is only 100-110 - forced!! I can't do that on my own! I saw my surgeon today and he said that I'm an "unusual" patient and it's just going to take me longer to heal?!?? He did test to rule out blood clots! He is putting me back on a CPM machine, and I'm seeing a massage therapist to break up scar tissue!! He said it's going to be a long recovery!!! It's so discouraging ??

• Posted

Do NOT be discouraged!!!  My surgery was March 10th also.  It gets better...really.
  • Posted

Do you have a YMCA around you? Track, gym, pool, etc.  Make new friends.

I'm only 4+ months post TKR so I can only tell you what my doc told me:

1. The swelling, stiffness and click/pop should resolve in 12-18 months...or not.

2. "You have a mechanical device implanted in your body.  What do you expect?"

I know that mine is less stiff than it was a month ago.  I know that it's stiffer when I get up after sitting for a long time.  I know that it's way less stiff after walking and exercising.  I know that I'm lucky not to be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

At 5 months post-op, you're still healing...a lot.  Work with your PT to break down the scar tissue that's forming and get your full range of motion back.  That plus getting stronger should be your prime focus.  I wouldn't let anyone or anything stop me from attaining that goal.  Everything else should resolve in time...or not.  Everyone's different.  Just do your best...that's all anyone can ask of themselves.

• Posted

Do you ever feel like there is a rock in your knee?? I feel like it stops me from bending?! Do you still have pain???
    • Posted

I don't have that feeling...also zero pain, eh, maybe a little at night so I use Voltaren Gel before bed.  Works in 10-15 minutes.  Worse thing for me is the stiffness after I'm sitting at the computer for a long time.  Gotta remind myself to get up and walk around.  I'll be 5 months post-op on August 10.  Measurements are now 0 / +129.  I really want to get to +138 like my other knee but that may not be possible...just have to see.

I've had two shoulder ops, replaced a hip, four knee scopes, four fused vertebrae and now the TKR.  After every procedure, I absolutely REFUSED to give in and settle for anything less than full range of motion.  I don't care how much time it took or the amount of pain involved.  I never accepted being less than I was before the op.  Hmmmm...except for the back.  Asked the doc what I would NOT be able to do after he fused it.  Told me that I wouldn't be able to touch my toes again.  I could live with that...couldn't touch them anyway so what the hell...

• Posted

Did you have a lot of pain? I haven't read much about people having a lot of pain almost 5 months after TKR !! I'm so discouraged by this??

• Posted

My post-op pain was off the scale.  I've had four kidney stones...I'd rather have 10 more than go through that again...but I have to get the other knee done sooner or later.  I'm resistant to opioids so percocet, oxycontin, vicodin, etc. don't help much...I just had to get through it.  I also pushed through all the PT pain which, as we all know, is not a cakewalk.  For me, though, it was worth it.  I'm virtually pain free at almost 5 months.  Was that because of the work I put in?  Or the skill of my surgeon?  Or my DNA?  Who knows.  But I've been through a lot of surgeries and have bounced back from every one of them fairly quickly.  The TKR, however, was the most painful of them all not counting the length of the recovery which is still a long way from being over...and I'll be 70 in 18 months.  I've read on this forum of people still having pain in the 4-6 month range so I wouldn't say it's out of the question.  I'd see your doc about it if it's really that bad.  Just don't get discouraged; it will pass.  I've read of people 2 years out who still complain of stiffness and clicking sounds but not severe pain.  I've read soooo many posts...seems like the worst of everything is gone in the 4-6 month range if you've put in the PT and exercise time.  But if you're still dealing with unmanageable pain, I'd see the doc.

• Posted

Hi Chico,

I read your response to Joy regarding pain.  I am 73 and in pretty good health.  I am a petite woman so I was never concerned about this type of surgery.  WRONG!  It was (and slowly diminishing) the most painful surgery I have ever had.  I have had C-section, abdominal surgery, thyroidectomy and even had a right nephrectomy.  The kidney removal was like a tonsilectomy compared to this.  I think you were the one who wrote that every month/week are milestones in recovery and I am starting to see this.  My fear is that, just when I feel I've turned the corner, I start worrying about a new issue.  I think that there will be lifestye changes with exercise, traveling and dental and doctor visits.  Other than that, I will be grateful to walk my 2-3 miles a day, even if I feel a tight band or fist around my knee.  

Time will tell, right?

• Posted

Hi joy....yes, the pain was severe.  I am 7 1/2 weeks post op TKR.  Listen to Chico and all the other informative people on this site.  But most of all, you must ask your doctor.  The pain and swelling I had (and still sometimes have) prevented me in the early days of doing my exercises 2 x a day.  I did PT 3 weeks prior to surgery, was walking steps in 5  days post of and diligent in at home PT and outpatient.  With all of that, the 2nd week post op, my leg locked and I had the worst pain I have ever endured in my life.  I was recuperating at my daughter's home and walked over to make a cup of coffee.  I couldn't move. I couldn't even get back to my room with the cane.   I was crying and didn't want to scare anyone.  Fortunately, the visiting nurse came to take blood.  I called the doctor and the PA on the team told me to ice, rest, elevate, prescribed voltarin and the next day gone!  Who knows why these things happen.  WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND ALL THE SAME.  HOW'S THAT FOR COFUSION!

Be strong, you have made it 5 months without any complications.  

Heal well and pray for no pain...Marilyn

• Posted

I'm only five years behind you...  If you can walk 2-3 miles on the new knee, you have a lot to be thankful for.  The last time I did 8,000 steps on my FitBit, I paid for it...for days and days...  I agree...most painful surgery I have had to date (2 shoulders, 4 knee scopes, right hip replacement, 4 vertebrae fused and now the left TKR).  I was prepared for a lot but not that much pain...normal opioids don't work on me.  My one year goal is to make it disappear...like it never happened.  That's what my hip is like; hope the knee feels the same.  If not, then oh well, at least I'm walking and not in a wheelchair on painkillers.  I warn everyone not to measure pain, flexibility, etc. on a daily basis.  This is not a linear recovery...there are ups and downs.  But at the end of a month, you can look back and say "Hey, I feel better than I did last month!"...BUT only if you put in the work.  Still have pain? VOLTAREN GEL!!!  Great stuff.  Best topical anti-inflamatory on the planet.

Sat down one day and put down everything I've learned from the TKR...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Hope it helps people prepare or at least not get depressed when some of these "things" pop up.

• Posted

Funny you are asking, I just replied to you about the pain in the back of my knees and suggested it. Yes, you need a prescription, at least in the US.
    • Posted

Yup.  My doc wrote for five (5) tubes.  What a godsend!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.