Still experiencing pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm at the end of 5 weeks into Bell's Palsy and face and eye almost completely recovered thankfully. However still experiencing pain in ear/head and face, it's mostly a nagging pain but then I'll experience a shooting pain in ear/side of head that goes down into my face- is this normal and can I do anything to help this? Pain killers have no effect, a friend suggested Magnesium spray at night but agin this hasn't helped.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can't help you much with this but if your face looks pretty normal you are doing better than a lot of people.  I never had any pain so I don't know what to do for that.  Maybe it will gradually go away.  I have after effects like droopy eye, can't smile, 2 eye surgeries, on and on.  It has been 2 1/2 years.  

• Posted

Karen, I would get massages especially neck and facial /head  , it worked incredibly for me, it is 3years later and still have that issue. Just less now, best of health good luck 
    • Posted

Who did you  go to for massages?  Someone experienced in Bells Palsy?  I was told by Drs. not to massage.  I am 2 1/2 years post BP and still can't smile.  

• Posted

I have just been back to physiotherapist at the hospital and asked her about Donna's recommendation of a head/neck/face massage and she said because I have got movement back to my face then it was ok to go ahead as it might help with nerve pain I'm experiencing but to warm the therapist I've had a Bell's palsy

• Posted

Thanks Donna, checked it out with physiotherapist and am gonna give it a try. 😃

• Posted

Yes kren my doctor told me the same thing , lucky for me my massage therapist is also an RN, i still get sweeling on left side of my face and massages realy help, , like you cant imagine, she truly was my angel, good luck to you 
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

My pain began behind my ear.  Hot compress was soothing to me.  I got a washcloth wet placed in ziplock bag and would reheat in the microwave.  Someone else suggested to me to alternate heat and cold.  I stayed with the heat.  It was soothing to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.