Still finding it hard to sleep and swollen ankle after 6 weeks

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my hip done 6 weeks ago Iam just using 1 walking stick,I Feel I am doing ok but had a bad day with pain in my ankle and did not sleep at all last night.Iam doing exercises but my partner wants me to go to the Gym and do more,is it too early,I am still on 8 paracetamol,3 Ibuprofen and another pain killer,is this too much?The Physio said I need to take them or I might not feeling like exercising,would like some feedback,I am 71 years old.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Michael.

Welcom,e to the forum.

It will take at least a year for you to heal fully. This includes any swelling. To ease the swelling lay flat on your back with pillows under your legs to raise them above your heart. Taking care not to go beyond 90 degrees.

If you are having pain. Then I think this should be investigated. Did you get advised to go onto one crutch at 6 weeks. 6 weeks is rather early to be going to the gym unless you get clearance from your physio.

As for your pain killers. You need to work out how much you need to take to keep you comfortable. If what you are taking isn't working you need to go see your GP for better pain releaf. You pysio is right if your pain is not controled you won't want to move. I have just recently been in that situation myself and now after my GP has messed about with my pain releafe I can again walk. So your physio is right. Just remember you have had major surgery and have to listen to your body. if you are hurting rest for a day or two if the pain gets no better get it investigated..

• Posted

Hi Michael,

If I do too much I feel awful and the only think that works for me is to stay in bed...Often I have to go to bed in the afternoon and I actually sleep for a couple of hours. Before the op I could never sleep during the day...It's our body telling us to slow down and take thing easy. If you are still taking pain killers it's even more important to rest if you are in pain or if you feel tired. I have always given priority to rest over exercise and two months after the op I feel I am progressing well.

Best wishes and let us know how you are getting on.

Ella

• Posted

Hi Michael - not sleeping wears you out and saps your strength and if you are in pain on top of that it makes you feel pretty rough. Is the pain in your ankle something you have had before or could it be you are putting more weight on that side when walking.

A suggestion would be to make the decision to go to the gym when you a little better, when I went through stages of not sleeping I made sure I cat napped during the day, you are still very early on post op so don't overdo it especially when you are feeling like this. I am sure your partner is trying to help you but you know your body best. Why not check with your GP to see what exercises you could do at the gym if you did want to go. Good luck I am sure things will improve for you but it is a slow process and frustrating. Take care

• Posted

I think you are doing OK, but need to talk to your GP about your pain. They can undoubtedly give advice and possibly different pain killers. The swelling in various places can take up to a year to completely subside. At 4 months my own varies from day to day depending on the activity I have done. A friend who is an orthopaedic nurse maintains that improvements continue for up to 2 years after a hip replacement. Go to the gym when you feel you are ready and your physio agrees. All the best Maggie
  • Posted

I am five weeks post op and on one crutch. Still have swelling in knee and thigh. I go to bed in the afternoon and put feet up on pillows. I usually fall asleep. Have you had a post op 6 weeks review yet? If not wait and talk to consultant. If you had a swimming pool near that might be a better option than gym. As everyone on here says it is not a race-- take your time-- hope you are soon sleeping again.
  • Posted

Hi Michael -

I agree with all the comments ...

have you watched the video on THR surgery on Youtube? if not, and you are up to it, please do so and have your partner watch it with you - I had no idea that this was such major surgery and what is involved in healing ...

Listen to your body is really the best advice given here ... 

Did you have your follow up visit with your surgeon yet ? 

Take it easy, okay and be gentle with your self .... It can be challenging when a partner and friends think you should do more ...I know, they mean well ... but still ..

Hang in there .. sounds that you are doing really great 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Welcome Michael,

Listen  to the physio and your body. I am 45 and on week 4 and am only doing what the physio has instructed me plus some walking.  The pain medication is vital to rest and movement so don't worry about where you're at just take it if it helps.

Its easy to over do things, I was fit before but have had to slow things down a little because I over did things and it made my pain and sleeping worse. Take a rest in the day.

good luck with your rehab, it's a process....

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

Hi Michael, Renee is right, not many people, including us, realise what exactly is done when you have a replacement. It makes it sound as if the surgeon just makes a little hole and the new one is popped into place.

Look at it this way - if you had broken your leg you would still be in plaster now and walking with two crutches. Don't forget that we all had the top of the femur sawn off and a protheses hammered into place. Is it any wonder we are a little sore and swollen?

We are amazing, that's what we are!

• Posted

Hi M

I've had 4 THRs since 2007, the last 10 weeks ago. While the recovery process has been different each time, my experiences have led me to some simple conclusions. 

1. If you are able, try to get in the best possible shape pre-op. 

2. DO, indeed listen to your body. You will know, innately, the right thing to do. Learn to hear and acknowledge that little voice within. 

3. Whatever you're doing, do it GENTLY. 

Once you have the confidence in taking this approach, politely ignore all other advice you come across. Crucially, try not to compare your own recovery rate with that of others. It is a process, not a competition. 

Wishing you well

Elaine

UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.