Still ghastly weeks after bunion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Awful pain even though 14 weeks since bunion corrected & 2 morton's neuromas removed.  Jumpy foot and pain at night could drive me to sn early grave.  Foot  requires elevation. Foot hot & swollen through most of the day.? When does this stop ?  Does it stop ?? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Filly, I do feel for you. We all seem to heal differently don't we ?!. I had a bunionectomy,realignment and fusion after the first bunionectomy wasn't successful .... I'm seven weeks one day post op,I also have a gap now between my toes, my foot starting getting hot about ten days ago, I keep saying that I will get in contact with my doctor but haven't as yet !

Feet and toes are sensitive and take ages to heal, are you elevating your foot during the day and using an ice pack ?

It will stop, just takes an age ! 

• Posted

I had a bunionectomy lapidus fusion op, together with a Morton's neuromas excision.  Have you been told to do deep tissue massage to the neuroma site?   It is imperative because if you don't the tissue will form a hard lump and you will spend your life thinking you are walking on a stone.  I was elevating and massaging the excision site for 6 months. I think 7'months is the magic/turn a corner time.  Stick with it things will get better.  
  • Posted

Hiya filly. I had double bunion removal but had the scarf and akin procedure so don't know how the 2 differ. I can tell you though that it does get better. I too at your stage actually thought I was never going to walk properly again but bit by bit it gets better. I also had jumpy feet at night. Regarding the heat - I had to go to docs cos the heat was so bad. It was a burning feeling on the bottom of my feet. They gave me amitriptyline which is for nerve issues but it really was unbearable for me. Hang in there and have faith that things do get better. It really is a waiting game now. smile

• Posted

Thank-you all so much for your very reassuring replies.  I know now that I am not alone and that what I am experiencing is reasonably normal!

I do elevate my foot Terri when I am seated and I also elevate it at night ..still. I have resorted to taking tramadol at night again , otherwise, the discomfort would drive me crazy. 

Rosie, I saw the surgeon last week and he injected the scars and tried to manipulatethe toes because the scar tissue had hardened too much.  He has suggested cutting in and stitching if my 2nd and 3rd toes remain higher than the big toe. I will keep pushing & massaging them like a maniac to avoid another cut..

Margot, thank- you for your very kind support.  It is reassuring to hear that you have experienced the heat and the jumpy foot and that things get better.

i will grit my teeth ( and my toes) and hang on in with optimism for another few months.  Thank you all so so much .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.