Still having pain in ankle after 19 months, why did this not heal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After at least 19 months my ankle is still hurting/ painful. Now after standing a long time I've had pain shooting to the bottom of my heal and I couldn't walk on on. I am also having tightness in my calf. Did not see a doctor but now have an appointment in 10 days. Why did it not heal and what can I do?

What is going on???

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had increasing pain over the last month. Got a lot worse after the standing.
  • Posted

Did you have a doctors intervention or physio treatment at any stage till now??  My badly sprained ankle took just over 8 months to heal well.  With the intervention of an xray and physio therapy.   I was told off for leaving it so long to get to the doctor to have it checked out, then the physio told me off for not keeping off it for at least 3 weeks.

I had been naughty and insisted on trying to walk on it as normal as possible, but the pain on increasingly worse and so did the swelling.  Just goes to show oneself that we don't always do the right thing by pushing through pain!  I now have a large area below my ankle bone that is fat permanently, like a cushion.  

It maybe, that you have suffered one or more minor fractures of the small bones in your foot.  These can even occur naturally due to weight and/or the pressures we put on our feet and due to the activities.  Sadly of course they 'are not painless'...

All the very best going forward, I hope you get a diagnostic and treatment..

• Posted

No of course not. It actually hasn't started hurting again till these past few months. Getting to be daily. The more I'm on it the worse it gets.

I have made a doctors appointment for a week and a half from now, being a new patient have to wait awhile. I figure I'll have to do PT after they figure what's wrong. Just concerned now the pain is daily and my calf in the back of my leg is also tightening up as I walk.

• Posted

Sounds like the injury that may have occurred is being aggrevated of sorts..ouch!   My cousin has issues with fractures and they never heal because once they do begin, they fracture apart again... tsk..

All the best, hope you get it sorted... :-) 

• Posted

Too manay causes for that

1) It can be any injury.....

2) It can be over weightage....

• Posted

Have you managed to get a diagnostic done??   All the best going forward...  I hope you have managed to get it resolved..   hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.