Still having pain in urethra after treating UTI. What do I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

25 year old female and never been sexually active. Anyway, after having mild lower back pains that I thought were pains from lifting something heavy it turned out to be a UTI. My doctor then put my on 5 days of ampicillin, but I only got through 3 because it turns out I had an allergic reaction to the drug. So instead of putting me on something else (I have been on antibiotics this year 3x already for different issues) she decided to hold off and retest my urine and culture it again. My lab results came back and it's showing up as more normal now. There are only "traces" of bacteria in my urine and a very small amount of bacteria grew on the culture. Here's the problem. I'm STILL having some mild urethral irritation and burning, as well as mild lower back pains. Plus I'm STILL having pain in my groin area and in the upper part of my pelvis that is just below my stomach. What do I do? It's VERY uncomfortable and it feels like never ending mild irritation. If my lab results are showing MOST of the infection is gone why am I STILLl having discomfort? What do I do? I did contact my doctor but have to wait until Monday get a response.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I meant there are only "traces" of WBC in my urine NOT bacteria. So I was told. And a small amount of cocci bacteria grew on the culture. Is says specifically, "1,000-9,000 CFU/ML of gram positive cocci isolated". What does that mean? To me that doesn't sound to good. The only thing the doctor told me to do was to drink lots of water and try to flush the rest out. I'm concerned of it growing back and on the last culture I had it was a different bacteria that was named "enterococcus" so what's this "cocci"?

Thanks in advance!

• Posted

A urine culture measures the number of "colonies" which grow on the sample. The numbers mean nothing to me either, but the fact that *any* bacteria is there should indicate the need for an antibiotic (years ago I was told practically the same thing you were about "flushing out the rest" after my urine culture showed "traces" and I ended up in the hospital for a week with a major kidney infection).

The pelvic pain sounds like your bladder is still involved.

• Posted

Thats what I was thinking. I always heard urine is suppose to be sterile. There should be no traces of bacteria growing on a culture. Also, it doesn't help that I keep having this very mild lower back pain on one side, and random burning after I pee sometimes. I do feel like for a "simple" UTI they are not properly treating it.

• Posted

I am 54 years old going through perimenopause.  I am not sure if what I am experiencing is like yours or not.  I had an UTI which got to be normal.  While having it, I only had a burn-like spasm after urinating.  When the UTI cleared, the discomfort has lingered.    Also, about 2 weeks prior to getting the UTI, I had a pap smear.  The lubricant she used burned terribly.  When I started having this problem, my primary dr. sent me back to her, and she did a pelvic.  Again, the lubricant burned really bad to the point I had trouble sitting for 4 days.  The urologist seems to think I could’ve had an allergic reaction to the lubricant.  My gynecologist sent me to an urologist.  He did an ultrasound along w/ a cystoscopy.  Everything was normal on both tests.  Now, I am having discomfort more frequently since the test.  I did an AZO urinary test and it shows a slight infection.  Like you, when my UTI was normal, I still had the pain.  I completely understand your frustration. 
  • Posted

Hello I have been going threw the same things I'm nearly 50 i have been in and out of the er like crazy I had a bad bacteria infection with back to back anitbotics they had to stop my anitbotics because they were gimme to many my immune system is down every time I take blood or urine it come back clear I have been doing rhistfor two months can't eat out very limited on food my clothing has changed going to see a urologist on Aug first when I go to the drs they so there's not much they can do I'm so frustrated I feel sometiim dying because the pain is so bad get fevers off and on this diff does stink I don't know what to think anymore I hate this need help

• Posted

I have been drinking lots of water and cranberry juice to the point I despise it now.  I cut back on spicy foods and long for my diet caffeine cokes!  When I eat spicy foods or take a few sips of the coke, it doesn’t appear to affect me.  I understand what you mean about the foods having to change due to this issue.  I hope you get answers and help from your urologist.  When I went to my urologist, I gave an urine sample, he took a sample off the bladder with a small flexible catheter (It did NOT hurt.  You feel it, but it is not bad.), and set me up for an ultrasound and cystoscopy.  The cystoscopy was not bad.  It is not something I would look forward to do again, but it was not excruciating.  If you have to have this procedure, you can read about my experience on this site under the title, “My Cystoscopy Experience.”  Your urologist may do something different based on what you say and his conclusions as to what would be best for your case.  I’ll be thinking of you and holding good thoughts.  Please keep me updated.  You are not alone.
    • Posted

Thank you for geiback to me what type of foods are you ratting now and desserts I'm clueless with this

• Posted

Since I do not have an UTI or other issues w/ the bladder and kidneys, I can eat what I want.  I have cut back on the spicy foods mostly and cokes. Also, I have migraines and take Excedrin for Migraines.  I have stopped taking those because when I got my initial UTI back in May, I took one, so now I am kind of nervous about taking them.  It would probably be ok, but I do not want to chance it right now.  My urologist did not limit me to any type of foods, drinks, or meds.​ 
    • Posted

Caffeine and some spicy foods are an irritant to the bladder.  I love Diet Pepsi but haven't had any kind of soda in *years*.

• Posted

For myself, I avoid garlic and onions (I use dehydrated instead and the flavor is the same), anything really hot (like hot salsa), caffeine (although instant coffee doesn't seem to be such a culprit in moderation-I have 1 or 2 cups a day made semi weak), anything really greasy (I use LOTS of paper towels to drain everything I eat to the point of pressing hard to get all that out).

There are many other things but what bothers me might not bother you and vice versa.  We learn quickly what we can get away with.

• Posted

My Dr told Me to stay away from caffeine spicy I should use fresh garlic and oil for my foods no chocolate at all all the things to want to it I can't it's making me frustrated

• Posted

I agree with Sandra.  I would avoid spicy, greasy, and caffiene at least f/ awhile to let things settle down. What may bother you, may not someone else.
    • Posted

Try the dehydrated garlic and onion (just allow them to sit in whatever liquid you're using to plump up and re-hydrate).  Try real butter instead of oil (just remember: all things in moderation). I like real butter because it's sort of a "does it all" thing.  You can season with it, cook with it, use in the skillet to brown.  Oil, even the best vegetable oil, is too much for me.

I broke my chocolate habit an age ago so sweets aren't reall a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.