Still limping

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well i am now 13 weeks post pkr and seem to be doing ok, my bend is getting better and i can get a good straight leg. The pain is getting better and only need co-codamol occasionally. Most nights i can sleep pretty well but it has been a long road. I only had 3 physio visits butvtried to carry on myself. I have been kept busy with grand kids and going back to work but my problem seems to be i still limp when i walk. And i am not sure why

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

I have no idea I'm afraid.

But it may be worth going to a good Physio and have them observe you walking.

I'm sure they will advise you on next steps

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

I was a bit like that - habit. I started practising at home walking slowly with both sticks just to rebalance - and also put a dressing gown chord round my neck - hanging loosely to help my posture - also marching with high legs and doing some balancing on one leg (operated one) helps. It will lessen anyway in time but too much limpling can damage hip and spine. So keep an eye on it. My physio said it was the brain thinking there would be pain so not wanting to put foot right down - need to retrain. 
  • Posted

Hi, Lindsey

I'm about the same stage as you. I concur with everything Caroline said. I find myself still limping especially around the house. My pt kept reminding me to stretch out the walk to full heel. It has to be a conscious effort and I don't enjoy it, I promise you. The balance and marching bit help giving confidence on the "fixed" knee. They told me the brain is trying to figure out how to walk again. That and my darn ankle seems to have arthritis in it now too. Enough already!

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

Yeah I know what you mean. Go into Youtube, in the search box type in Walking heel to toe. You might have to scroll through a bit but it will show you one or more videos on the technique. Its been a big help to me in retraining the body to walk correctly.

John

• Posted

Hi Lindsey, I'm 9weeks post op and too still limp occasionally unless i really think about walking. I had 6 sessions physio and she told me it is because I have limped for so long it is habit. As john said and it works when walking heel, ball of foot toes....think about what you are doing and back straight head up. I still limp as get stiff ans uncomfortable but i have my family now telling me walk properly. I still donot sleep well and think last night was one of worst in long time, but I heard it can take 12 weeks. Let us know how you get on x
    • Posted

Yes I waited for the magic 12 weeks and I did get a few nights but still quite broken, again due to habit. By about 15-16 weeks I had much better nights - and consequently better days. It all seemed so horrific at the time, pain, tears, tiredness, frustration and even though my recivery was very slow, now at 16 months those times are becoming a distant memory. I kept a diary though so I know my timeline and feelings. I was going to write and article on the TKR from our point of view so (some) doctors and nurses might understand the stages and emotions - also for those going through it. So I kept copious notes - now I can see how much better I am. Good luck - you're going in the right direction x

• Posted

Thank you Caroline, I do get over a little quicker than at first, but get so tired during the day. My husband says to have a nap but am afraid to incase it makes sleeping worse at night.

​I meant to keep a note of all milestones...so to speak but it did not happen. I think you should write an article giving our point of view as really we go in blind not knowing the full extent of what happens.

​If it had not been for help and support of a lot of people on here and my hubby  I think I would have been a screaming wreck by now. My other knee is going same way and I know I will have to go through it again, however if it is as sucessful as this one I will be happy. I know I have had some very bad days and nights but that beats what it was like before.

​Thank you xx

• Posted

I think a nap between 20 and 40 mins is okay but no longer. Yes having the other one done is also not something I am looking forward to. Hoping that when I lose my weight and get really strong I will be fitter than I was going into the previous op and this might help the recovery. 
  • Posted

Hi lindseyosb32 im just a wk ahead of you and i limp badly. My physio has said its my core muscles and they are weak! So iv got todo tum and bum strengthening exercises! Its years of walking badly that has done it! Still a way to go.
  • Posted

Hi Lindsey.

I am 16 weeks post op, and still limping. I do all my exercises every day ie. Straightening and Bending

In the last 24 hours I was told I need to build up the muscle in my thigh ( according to my physiotherapist, lack of muscle is the reason for the limp) .

I was given a new exercise to do and already I can see the difference in the way I walk / limp.

So I suggest to you do exercises to tighten your thigh muscle.

Hazel.

• Posted

Hazel could you tell us the exercise you have been told to do to tghten thigh! I would appreciate it as im struggling to. My physio tends to not mention thigh but mine is annoying me! My thigh! Not physio lol!

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Debbie

To exercise my thigh muscle I roll a towel around an empty cola / lemonade bottle.

Put the towel under my knee. Press the knee down on the towel trying to use just the muscle in the thigh. You can see it slightly tense up. Hold down 20 times to the count of ten.

I do this 3 times a day, and already I can feel the difference.

I hope I have explained it OK.

• Posted

Hi Hazel,thank you for this my thigh muscle is still weak too, will give it a go x
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, Sue, Debbie,

This exercise is one I have been given also, it works great. Physio told us to press down as Debbie describes and also lift foot 2-3 inches at the same time. At first I wasn't sure, but now I can feel the benefit big time.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Hi.

Whoops, yes I forgot to say to lift foot up as well.

• Posted

Hi Folks, My physio got me to do this one too and then add weight to it. Instead buying weights use an oven glove over ankle with a tin of beans in each side....family think it hilarious!!!!

​xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.