Still very bruised 7 weeks after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 7 weeks after TKR, half  of the area around the cut is very bruised - below the knee cap. Above the knee cap it is all clear. The psysio thinks I may have an infection and asked me to see the GP whom I did. She thought it was fine as there is no pus or leakage etc. I'm very worried as I really don't want an infected knee - well no one does! Not seeing the surgeon for another 2 weeks. Should I be worried?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No I don't believe you should be worried at all, I myself had

bruising from thigh to ankle. Do some lymphatic massage to

move the fluid massage in the direction towards the hip there

are really good vids on you tube that will explain the best way to do it. I was able to get most if not all of the gone the bruising

gone within the week massage 2x a day. Hope this helps

• Posted

No I don't think you should be worried at all. If you have seen GP and there is no pus or leakage I reckon it's fine.

Good luck when you see the surgeon agian.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

i had a bilateral Tor nearly 7 weeks ago and I still have bruising along and both sides, on both knees of the scars.  I saw the surgeon 2 days ago and he said it's pretty normal.  I think you would know if you had an infection, the knee would most certainly hurt differently.  it's common but the worst thing you can do, is stress yourself out, worrying about your knee.  I know it's easier said than done.  As long as there's no leakage or puss parts on the scar, it's probably fine.

i have been very lucky with my knees.  I didn't have to go to physio once I'd left hospital.  I left with no walking aides and I live up 14 steps.  I honestly forget I've had my knees replaced sometimes.  When I sit for to long they tend to stiffen and ache but I'm walking just fine.  Strange thing is, every few days, one or the other knee will hurt like hell for a day or night but then it's all better other times.

we are all recovering differently.  In hospital, after the operation, I had to have a blood transfusion but it over loaded me and so they had to drain fluid from my lungs.  Both of which collapsed.  I was then fighting an infection with a temp of 38.8 for  over a week.  Kind of took my mind off my knee pains lol.  

I hope i have have managed to reassure you not to be concerned about the bruising.  When you think that the operation is pretty major and lots of hammering and sawing of bones went on.  Muscles were cut so it will take time to heal.

good luck with everything.

sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.