Stoma Pre-Colectomy Query for STC

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I hope you don't mind me posting here. I was hoping someone could help my understanding a little about colectomies. Long story short, I've had constipation for 8 years now and I'm at the end of my tether. I've had two surgeries since last April; a LVMR (rectopexy) and then one to repair some of the problems caused by the surgeon in that (7cm haematoma & inadequate attachment of mesh). Only Dulcolax works, and without this I don't 'go' at all. The transit study was recently repeated, so I didn't go to the loo in about 8 days, and markers were predominantly from the top of the right side (descending colon) down, with a few in the ascending colon. I have a few other health issues that are no further to being helped at the moment, such as hypothyroidism, pernicious anaemia, migraines, osteopenia, etc. The problems with my stomach, the constipationand bloating and pain all of the time, have all but ruined the last 8 years. My surgeon has said I'm all but out of options and is suggesting removal of my large colon. I'm 27.

The question I want to ask is this : She said a stoma would be required first, temporarily, to see whether I would indeed be a candidate for colon removal. This is to check whether removing the colon and reattaching the small intestine to the rectum would help, or whether the rectum is still a problem, or whether the constipation and bloating and pain wouldn't actually be improved by removing the colon. How would a temporary stoma work? Ie. without actually removing the colon, how would I know whether this would help? I can't picture in my head how/where they would bring out the colon to mimic this removal (is it possible to temporarily bring out the left hand side of the colon?) She is arranging an appointment with a stoma nurse to discuss but this could take a few weeks and I'd like to know the basics asap as this is quite a lot for me to get my head around. The information I've found online seems to have confused me further rather than helped me understand this temporary stoma pre-colon removal. Any thoughts/advise on this procedure would be very, very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading smile

Caz

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've had constipation for almost three years I never go to the doctors. After numerous tests the final test was an anal manometer. I just know that doing anything In this region is awful. I to have hypothyroidism. I'm the exact if I don't take ducolax and miralax my muscles will not allow the stool to Exit. I guess I'm doing. Bio-feedback. I guess they train me how to crap. I just read a lot of similarities and I still haven't been labeled
  • Posted

Note this was a while ago, I too am having a temporary ileostomy have you had the procedure and how have you got on?
    • Posted

Hi Sars31616, thanks for the reply! I've had the op done, so I'm about 4 months post-op now. My ileostomy may not be particularly temporary due to the pelvic floor problems. I've had a few issues, not that I was to share scare stories because that's not helpful to you! However, no longer taking laxatives (first time in 9 yrs, it's a miracle!)  I've started a blog to keep my brain busy, about invisible illness and stoma shenanigans (covering experiences and some things I wish I knew at the time of my op) If I can help at all, you have any questions etc just drop me a message! 

• Posted

Good to hear I am due to have a 3 compartment prolapse repair done a month after my surgery so may well decide to not reverse and just get on with enjoying life How can I view your blog? Would definitely like a heads up on day to day bag life 😊

• Posted

I'll try to send you a PM on here smile

When is your ileostomy due, have you got a date? 

And do you mind me asking what prolapse procedure you've been recommended..? Is it a rectopexy? Caz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.