Stomach ache after eating

Posted , 73 users are following.

For about 3-4 weeks now I have been getting a stomach ache after I eat anything and it feels like it's progressively getting harder to handle (or I am just getting fed up with it). It doesn't matter to seem how much I eat or what I eat I still get this stomach ache. It usually occurs about an hour/hour half after I have eaten and lasts another 2 hours before slowly stating to settle. If I haven't eaten already in the day I feel absolutely fine, no stomach ache, no weariness, no problems, even after I have eaten it's fine until the hour later. Once I have the stomach ache it slowly is a full ache then kicks in with quite bad pain. It's bearable but I am loosing concentration at work and getting easily distracted by it. When I'm at home I lie down and this seems to help a bit but I usually fall asleep. Before it gets better there are a lot of noises that come from my stomach/bowel (not sure which) then it seems to get better. If anyone can help me with any ideas that would be great, I'm starting to think it's an ulcer possibly or something along them lines. I doubt it's IBS as I mentioned it happens after every meal from a ham salad to a roast dinner. I also haven't been getting any diarrhoea or noticeable constipation. I feel like I am burping a bit more but it might just be because I am looking out for anything related to my stomach. I occasionally feel sick but I think that's more from the pain than what's actually going on inside me. I've only thrown up once from it but that was a bit more forced as it was when I first got this problem and thought I might of had a bug. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

7 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't know if it's too late to respond to this or if you figured it out, but I had the same problem and it turned out to be pancreas divisum, a congenital defect, that they only found by doing an MRCP (mri with dye), and acid reflux. It was stomach aches and pain and pain that radiated to my back. It was really bad, now it's a little more under control, not fully, by taking Creon pills. Apparently only 10% of the population has this and 1% of those people have problems or even know they have it because of pain.... lucky me. The main way my doctor kept pursuing the pancreas as the issue with due to elevated Lipase levels. It is basically like having pancreatitis all the time. It's not fun. If you haven't already explored that option, or other people on this site, I'd definitely look in to that... and also GERD. I can't eat meals without taking the Creon pills or I have really bad pain and stomach aches....Hopefully this helps someone!
    • Posted

Hi rachelk1130,

I was wondering if you've had any luck with anything other than the pills. I have been having pain in my upper abdomen , flank pain, or back pain for four months. I had two GI doctors and they had no clues even after colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasounds, and xrays. I was told I had IBS and anxiety. I tried to tell them I felt it that it was my pancreas because of where the pains where and slightly elevated lipase. It wasn't until almost two months later during an MRI they found ii to have pancreatic divisum. I have always had bad acid reflux but nothing else. It seems not only do I have pains now I have nausea and extreme sour stomach. I have an endoscopic ultrasound scheduled in ten days. I'm not sure what to expect after. I have a good team of doctors that specializes in pancreatic and gallbladder diseases only. Top in Maryland when it comes to surgery. But still finding it hard to stay positive. They haven't given me any medications yet.

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry, I just saw this now! Only thing to actually make a difference is Creon. It was seriously life changing. I still have some issues and stomachaches but NOWHERE near how it was. I have to take 4 creon pills with each meal, sometimes a couple extra with dessert, i don't always do that though. I would VERY strongly urge your doctor's for Creon if you don't have it already by now. I used to not be great at taking it in the beginning but then noticed that when I did start taking it regularly, my problems stopped. I will not eat food without it. There's nothing I can do besides take Creon unless I eat only minimally, or I will have a problem. I had a GI dr who didn't really do much and then my PCP recommended this doctor who specializes in pancreas issues and my life feels closer to normal now. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hello All,

Iam going through the same pain for quite some time now. I went throu endoscopy and found Gastritis ( inflammation of stomach lining ). The symptoms is of dyspepsia. It could be because of Ulcer in stomach OR non ulcer ( like mine ). You need to watch out the diet. Try to avoid Fatty , spicy , dairy foods. Go for more alakline diet. this would certainly help. Natural suppliments such as DGL , slippery Elm & Pepsin GI should help but need about 8 weeks for complete recovery.

• Posted

i get the same thing , but i need to go to the loo then im ok.
  • Posted

Jay, 

Did you resolve this issue? I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms. It would be nice to get a clue as to what is going on, since my doctor doesn't recognize the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I experiencing the same problem.. it would be great if you can reply how did you get rid of it?? and what was the issue??

• Posted

Hi jay66286, I've been having the same exact problem. I had a colonoscopy and an upper GI, I was diagnosed with gastritis. That was back in December. I was having a lot of other problems as well. I put everything together and all of my symptoms were also side effects of a medication called Topamax that I had started in September. I've been off of it for just over two weeks and I'm still getting that awful pain right in between my upper rib cage as if someone is kicking me in the stomach. It happens after I eat, no matter what I eat I get that pain. When you figure out what is going on, oj
    • Posted

oops, just wanted to say if you figure out what's going on, would you mind letting me know? I just can't seem to solve this puzzle! Thanks so much! Good luck to you, I hope you feel better soon!!!
    • Posted

Hi there

Just seen your post and wanderig how you went with your stomach as i noticed your on topamax which never crossed my mind but i have same stomach problems and i take topamax for migraines .

Cheers

• Posted

This is probably irrelevant but if you've started any new medications, even if it were several months ago, go back and make sure abdominal distress isn't one of the side effects. I overlooked this and seven months later is when everything clicked and I realized, I believe it was the new medication I started three months prior to my problems. However, I'm still having the stomach pain but my other problems have cleared up.

Again, I hope you feel better soon!!!

• Posted

Hi John, i feel the exact same way! Have you gotten any diagnosis?
    • Posted

For what it's worth, I had the exact same symptoms that jay described. So much so that I printed it off and took it to the doctor with me. We couldn't reach a diagnosis. We looked at the gall bladder and couldn't find anything. Tests for an ulcer were negative. I was finally given a pill to reduce the strength of my stomach acid (which I don't think did anything). I got around the symptoms with liquid meals and chewing my food as thoroughly as possible. I did this for about three months before trying to eat again. Surprisingly, I found that I can eat fine. However, I still get stomach pains, but it seems to correspond to my stress levels. Looking back, the initial symptoms appeared after a period of great stress. But what aspect of the digestive system is failing, I still have no idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.