Stomach issues

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. I'm 52 and recently had some spotting aftwr a year and a half of no periods. I had a pelvic and am scheduled for a pelvic ultrasound next week. I'm scared enough by that, but I have been having diarrhea for over a month. At first it was just lose stools. It went away for several days but came back last week this time with severe abdominal cramping. I went to the gp who ran blood work. My white cells are on the high side of normal. Poop test not back. Meanwhile she basically gave me no guidance other than to say that I am overdue for colonoscopy. I am feeling overwhelmed and want to just get the ultrasound under my belt. Anyone have stomach issues with menopause. I feel like I'm walking a tight rope here. I can't really take much more. It's like I turned 52 and I'm falling apart. I am in constant distress with my digestive tract and worried to death about the upcoming tests. I have family coming into town today and just don't know how I'm going to get through this.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary

I hadsomany digestive issues post menopause. Bloating, gas, belching and loose stools.

I started taking probiotics and that REALLY helped. Please look into it

• Posted

Mary,

All I buy is Webber Naturals. for digestion. 5 Billion

The bottle says to take 1,  3 times daily, but all I ever took was one at  lunchtime. It certainly helped my bloating. Private message me and I will tell you want I use for gas and belching. If I mention it, it will be modified.

• Posted

stomach issues are very common in menopause. If it's IBS, which is common, then your stress and worry is making it worse. I've actually had it for 30 years. Stress makes it flare up and when I had health concerns, it was much much worse. Just my opinion, but of you just had a little spotting, it's probably related to vaginal atrophy but you definitely have to have it checked. I had that happen. All was fine. And for sure get the colonoscopy to be safe.

• Posted

It is quite common to have another period after a gap of anything up to 2 years, though it is best to get it checked out.  I did have a lot of bowel issues in peri, sudden bursts of diarrhoea etc, all due to fluctuating hormones.  Try to avoid insoluble fibre like wheat, pulses etc. and up your intake of soluble fibre like carrots, oats.  And have it checked out, else you will never stop worrying about it, that's what I did in the end and it was fine and knowing that helped the symptoms to ease because worry affects the bowel.

• Posted

I do!!! I m currently I week 8 of loose bowels. My bloods and poop tests came back fine had a vaginal ultrasound and nothing picked up so I can only assume it's meno related. I living on a diet of potaoes and rice as I can't tolerate much else. The doc has put me on meds for INS and for the last two days I ve not had any embarrasing mishaps. I have to return thurs for an update . My stomach is gurgling and churning everytime I eat.

• Posted

I do!!! I m currently I week 8 of loose bowels. My bloods and poop tests came back fine had a vaginal ultrasound and nothing picked up so I can only assume it's meno related. I living on a diet of potaoes and rice as I can't tolerate much else. The doc has put me on meds for INS and for the last two days I ve not had any embarrasing mishaps. I have to return thurs for an update . My stomach is gurgling and churning everytime I eat.

• Posted

I took an antibiotic for 10 days that has recently been approved, at least in the US, for IBS. it's usually used for e coli and travelers diareah. But I must have had some bad bacteria that the antibiotic took care of. It starts with an X so look it up. If you want the name, send me a message. I'd post it but then this post would be moderated. 10 days and all my digestive problems went away! Now I take a probiotic to keep that bacteria away. But before I took the antibiotic the probiotics didn't help at all. This drug was life changing for me!

• Posted

Sorry Mary. Predictive text in my previous reply not good. Meant to say that doc is now treating me for IBS. I'm on probotics too . Seems to be working as no bad episodes for two days..... hopefully get off the potatoes and rice soon ??

• Posted

Going through this phase can be trying. Like many here taking a probiotice was the cure to the loose stools and stomach issues I had. If I were you I would try a probiotic and hopefully this will cure your issues.
    • Posted

Wait, I do remember going on antibiotics for something similar, it was for travelers diarrhea. I also recall buying a probiotic to keep it all normal. So many crazy issues to deal with, who can keep it all straight?
    • Posted

Did it work? It was great for me! My doctor said you can go on it a couple of times a year if the problems come back?
    • Posted

Hi Becky, yes, it worked. I remember complaining about it though, wondering why my doctor would put me on it, but once it worked I had to give it to her for knowing. It never came back. Thank goodness. Just another peri/meno thing to deal with. Take care hon, xx.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.